Cabela's King Kat Tournament

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Catfish_Calvin, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Cabelas King Kat is having a night tournament in late July this year. It is in Louisiana Missouri. Ive been checking out the rules and all that. You can trailer your boat to any part of the Mississippi. Theres alot of big blues under Dam 19 in Keokuk. Which is about 2 hours. So i would use 4 hours for traveling and id have 4 hours to fish. So that option is probably out of the picture. I remember last year there was a Tournament in Fort Madison. (20 miles north of keokuk), and the guys who won traveled down to Louisiana Missouri to catch there fish near a train bridge. So im guessing most of the teams will be focusing on catchin fish around louisiana. What size of fish do you guys catch in July? Im guessing cut shad or skipjack will be the way to go. Any infortmation about the waters down there would be GREATLY appreciated. My buddy and I will down there the weekend before the tournament to check things out. But any help would be great! thanks

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    So,you're going to go down to Louisiana,Mo and fish that Cabela's Tournament,huh? Have you ever fished down in that area? You have a good idea going down before the tournament and fishing to become familiar with the area. Good Luck!

3. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i didnt think you could trailer in any of the king kat tourney's

4. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il

No, i've never fished down there. Me and my buddy from Des Moines have been talking about getting in it. We will make a trip down there the weekend before the tournament for sure. Hopefully 2 weekends before the tournament also. First thing is finding fresh shad. Then find the fish. Not looking to win anything, just wanting to get started in bigger tournaments. You and your partner should come down and fish it also!

I just looked up the Date\Time. Its July 26th. Fishing is from 6:30 p.m. to 8 a.m. Weigh-in is at 9 a.m. So i guess that would give us more traveling time if we chose to go to Keokuk. Not sure though. The good thing is, its a 5 fish limit. So the main focus is on big fish. First place in the Fort Madison tournament last year had around 50 pounds i believe. But im guessing this tournament will bring alot bigger fish

Katcatchingfool-The King Kat tournaments allow you to trailer your boat. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/c...eldguides_home/kk_regs.jsp?oiPage=fieldguides

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    The only event you cannot trailer in is the Gateway Classic.:roll_eyes:

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    From what I've been told, the Cabela's event out of Quincy, IL, was the event that was won on the Lousiana train trestle. That would be a more realistic trailering spot than running that far from Iowa.:wink:

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The same team won both the Quincy & Ft.Madison tournaments and trailered to Louisiana,MO to fish. I was at the Ft.Madison tournament when they weighed in and was interviewed. They fished around a train bridge down by Louisiana from what I understood.

8. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    '

Yep. That makes two of us at the Weigh-In in Fort Madison. I stopped by before heading to the race track. The weather wasnt great but, i think you and clayton could of brought in 40 pounds of fish pretty easily that day. Dont you think?

9. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I seriously doubt that my partner and I will be fishing that tournament down there. I wouldn't mind fishing one of them but I think I would rather fish one during the daylight hours,especially on a river I'm not familiar with. I have heard that the river down there is a whole lot different than it is around here.
    Were you at the weigh in at Ft.Madison last year? If you were I probably seen you but of course didn't know who you were.

10. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Yeah i was there with my younger brothers. I bet the river is alot different. If we cant get onto any fish when we pre-fish then we wont enter the tournament. Doesnt hurt to try though. If all else fails we could find the blues down in Keokuk and trailer there. But we will see. Id much rather fish a daytime tournament also. But the closest King Kat daytime tournament is clear down my st.louis.

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Clayton fished that tournament with another one of his friends from up at C.R.
    That is why I was at the weigh in to see how they had done. They did weigh in over 40 lbs. that day,but I can't remember the exact weight that they had. Yeah,I think Clayton and I could have weighed in over 40 lbs that day,but we would have needed over 50 lbs.

12. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    Does anyone know how much weight it took to win the Louisiana tournament last year? How many boats were in it? I am wondering if the night tournaments are more popular. I know you won't catch me on the river in the middle of the day in July, but at night it is a different story.

13. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    2nd place took home $1500.00 with 42.2 pounds. They fished right under the Fort Madison bridge.

3rd place took home $500.00 (gas money they said):wink: with 36.9 pounds. They fished up around Burlington. Not sure where though.

14. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il

They didnt have a tournament in Louisiana last year. They had one in Waverly. Not sure where thats at?It was a night tournament, and first place weighed in 132 pounds. Big fish of the tourney was 55 pounds. Ok im gonna get on Mapquest and find Waverly!!

15. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Waverly is in northwest Missouri. It is on the Missouri. Louisana is on the Mississippi. It is located between dams so that if they are not running water, there is very little current. Bait is rarely a problem to find. Fish can be a real challenge though. But if you can find them, there are some monsters to be had.

16. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Waverly is where Hwy 65 crosses the Mo river. There are a lot of good fish there. I would have liked to have fish that tourney last year but had other things going on. Its about 100 miles south of Iowa, Mo. line.

17. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Thanks for the info!!

18. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    One of my buddies asked me to fish that tournament with him. We were lucky enough to get the 132 for first place. Waverly is a good place to fish with lots of big fish and some real good fisherman. Maybe that is why all the big fish show up there. We trailerd down to around jefferson City to fish. Close to two hour drive from Waverly. I had a real good time and am glad he asked me to fish with him. Thanks again Marty.

19. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Man you guys were definitly on your A-Game and know where to find flatheads or blues to win a tournament like that. I envy you! Did you guys go down and fish the classic?

20. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you! I will have to confess I owe it all to the partner. That guy puts in his time and I was lucky enough to be asked along. He usually fishes with his brother and they are a tough team to beat.