Cabelas king kat spinning reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Chief, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i was looking at picking up a cheap spinning reel for catching channel cats. anyone tried the king kat 2s? there only $20

2. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    No, but they looked decient, and the might work. Does anybody know about the depth finder reels from cabela's they were like 13- 15 bucks.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It has been My experience that you get what you pay for!!! So choose wisely Grasshopper:) !!!

4. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    I've got a King Kat. It's huge. It holds a lot of line and the drag is smooth. For $20, it gets the job done, that's for sure. What I don't like is that it lacks instant anti-reverse, it's heavy, it wobbles a bit (not greatly balanced), and it doesn't have a baitfeeder drag.

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    It is true you really do get what you pay for. Cabela's stuff isn't bad stuff, they care about their reputation. I bought the cabela's new 1.5 cam compound bow last year and I love it! I also got their credit card because they give ya points. I drive alot and buy all my gas with the cabela's card, and pay it off every month, never carry a balance, never pay interest. I have like $100.00 store credit already and it hasn't even been a year yet.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would save my money and get something a little better. I would not use a 20 dollar reel for catfishing.

7. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    You Don't Need A High Dollar Reel Just To Fish For Channel Cats. It Should'nt Matter How Much You Pay For It As Long As It Works For You. I Have A King Kat Myself And I Believe Its Good For The Money. I Also Have An Okuma Avenger Av80. Its A Little Bit Bigger Than My King Kat And Its Definitely Smoother, But It Costs Twice As Much.

8. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have a King Kat 2 and have no problems with it at all this year. I put it on a 12 ft Eagle Claw surf rod and it's quite well balanced. It has caught a few nice channel's this year already, of course, like anything if you take care of it (cleaning, oiling etc..) it will take care of you.

It is a great bank fishing reel. You can cast a mile and it's easy to take apart and keep clean. You definitely get your money's worth and then some. (in my meager opinion:rolleyes: )

9. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
  10. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Just started catfishing this year. I bought the 30$ King Kat combo from cabelas. It seems like a good reel for the money. It holds tons of line! I havent been able to try it out yet, but my dad's friends knows were I can hook up with some 40 pound flat heads so im hoping its good.:cross:

11. fishin-crazy

fishin-crazy New Member

State:
    texas
    I saw those and herd that they were pretty good especily if your buying sevral. Good gear for little $$.

12. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I am looking for another combo to add, specifically a baitfeeder so I can use two rods and not worry about the one ripping into the water if I am not paying attention... it has happened to me before but I was lucky enough to grab the rod.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0031553119463a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=Cabelas+King+Kat&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=Cabelas+King+Kat&noImage=0

This setup looks really nice and I was looking at the 7' MH combo.

If anyone uses this and recommends it, please let me know. I am not worried on a Cabelas reel since I know they are made in the same factories as Okuma. Okuma has a ton of margin built into their reels and that is why they are a popular choice for distributors since they can make a lot of money selling them to dealers and dealers still make money. Cabelas is just cutting out the distributors and offering basically the same reels as an Epixor at a better price.

I just like to be certain before driving to Cabelas since it is an hour each way for me.

thanks

13. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Your link didnt work for me but I assume you are talking about the Salt Striker/ King Kat Combo. The combo is great for that price. The reels are pretty good and I have 2 King Kat Pros rods myself and like them alot. Not sure the size of the fish you are after but I really like the 8' MH for shore fishing. Good luck