Cabelas King Kat Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Bomberman, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I had a large Blue Cat snap a heavy action graphite rod as he rolled beside the boat. Realizing I needed something with a little more flex and backbone, I purchased two eight foot King Kat casting rods from Cabelas. I was a little leary about the "cheap" price but others gave it good reviews so I took a gamble. I matched the rods up with Ambassadour 6600 casting reels loaded with 90 lb Stren Super Braid. On the business end, I added two feet of 60lb Florocarbon leader and an 6/0 Owner circle hook.

First off, I noticed that these rods have a fairly flexible tip but firm up really quickly to provide backbone to handle big fish. The tip allows lobbing big baits and heavy sinkers very easily without throwing the bait off. The tip also allows the rod to "load" during a pull down making the circle hook a perfect match. The foam grips allow for no slippage when handling with wet hands.

The rod provides plenty of power to handle large fish...the largest to date is a 45lb Blue that my wife caught.

All-in-all, I am very satisfied with these rods. If you're in the market for a new rod and don't want to spend a lot of $$$, give these rods a try. You may be pleasently surprised as I was.

Tight lines.

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thanks for the detailed report.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i bought one for my fatherin law and he loved it it was 10ft with 30lb test and could cast far and it had great hook setting ability from long distances i say they are a great rod

4. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    yes I just bought a ten foot king kat spinning rod a couple weeks ago but have not had a chance to use it yet:sad2:

I am already casting between 75-100 yards with my 9 ft so Im hoping I can really launch it with this new one. the only thing I dont really like about it is the butt end is shorter than my other poles so Im not sure if Ill get as much leverage.

5. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I've got 5 of them 7'6" MH action, after another trip to Cabela's I'll have 2 more. Got some new Abu's that need rods, a 6000 and a 6500. They seem to have all the guts that you could ask for in a rod.

6. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    few guys i know from the tournaments we follow use them and the king cat spinning reels and have had no problems what so ever with them

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    aren't those the rods that phil king helped design? i have read good stuff about them.