Cabelas King Kat rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by DaveR, Dec 27, 2005.

1. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well I've been lurking for a while now and just started catfishing this year. Anyway I got a gift card to Cabelas for christmas and went there yesterday and bought the last three 8" med/hev king kat pro spinning rods they had. My question is will these rods stand up to the big flatties I hope to catch?

Dave

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a freind who bought a couple and he likes them, the biggest he caught on one was 30lb. theyre not the best rod in the world but they seem pretty good. he did have problems though with the ceramic popping out of the guides.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one, and Fellow Brother H20 Mellon has several of them...With that being said I dont consider them a big flathead rod..I much prefer the Quantum Bigcat...They just seem a litle to whimpy for me, and like Dink said the eyes are not very good.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nonsesne fellas! They are GREAT rods for $20.00. The normal price on these used to be $39.99. I have 4 of them. I LOVE them as a $20 rod. I would not pay $40 for them though. I think you'd be fine for fish up to 30#. In my opinon they are darn near a perfect channel cat rod. If you pick up a St Corix Classic cat then pick up a Cabelas King Kat Pro, you wont feel much of a difference other than the King Kats are 2 piece rods, which turns a lot of people agasint them. I know the comparions to a Classic Cat is stretching it, but just yesterday BOC Brother Flathunter picked the King Kat Pro over the St Croix in live field test.

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    i just got a King kat pro rod for christmas. seems like a very good rod for big channel cats and smaller flatheads. Tough to beat for only $20

6. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks for the input guys. I guess I will reserve these rods for going after the channel cats. I think I'm also going to look for a local shop that sells the Quantum Bigcats and check them out and probably order 1 from Catfish Connection.

Thanks Bros
    Dave

7. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just bought one. For $20, I couldn't pass it up. Got it in the 8 foot, medium-heavy, trigger model. I have a 9 foot Cabela's Whuppin stick and I really like it--just about an ideal croaker rod. But the insert does fall out of the guides. I keep a jar full of spare eyes that I've scavenged from broken rods or bought cheap.

8. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    It may not hold up to 80lb+ flatheads, but for good sized catfish it's a great rod for the money. Just take good care of it and it will work just fine.

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Buddy of mine back in Iowa went over to the Cabela's in Prairie du Chien, Wis. and picked me up an 8' heavy casting model. I just got it the other day and haven't had a chance to test it yet. Althought light, and not built like a traditional "cat rod", this thing is tuff. I put the tip on the carpet and leaned into it, and the darn thing can just about hold me up! Considering the fact that I've caught over 20lb flats on my 7' med/heavy Ugly Intercoastal, I know that I can handle the big boys on this thing. The only think I don't like about the King Kat Pro, well, two things, it's blue(nice color to see at night, NOT!), and the front eye, all be it a very sturdy all metal eye, sets higher than the rest of the eyes on the rod, which makes me wonder if it will hinder with casting a bit. I'll be giving a water test here soon though, and put in my full 2 cents then.

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, finally got my first chance out with my 8' heavy King Kat Pro w/Abu 6000 reel. This set up casts like a dream and is able to pull logs out of the water...however, we got skunked on the cats and ended up bass fishing...so nothing got caught and I'll have a full report to follow when some luck fish decides to devirginize this beauty.

11. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I have a Pro and and the regular King Kat and they work fine so far nothing huge yet. But for $20 it is hard to beat plus you get a Free cap with your order.

12. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    My fishing bud has the 2 King Kat Pros that I bought back when they were $40 and has been very happy with them. Below is a couple cats he caught in November 2005 with them.

Attached Files:

13. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I've been thinking about getting one. They seem to be very good rods.

14. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I got to test what my King Kat pro matched with Abu 6000 would feel like versus a fish, and managed to drag in my largest channel cat ever, a 15 pounder! Now, not huge on the catfish scale, but this rod had no problem with this fish, and I would gladly put it up agaisnt a 40+. It reacted great, from strike to the side of the boat. Even in moderate current, it bent uniformly but still had enough backbone that when the fish ran I could "put the screws to it" as they say. That and this match up launches baits like it's no bodies buisness!

15. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I also got a King Kat Pro, it's usually $40 but it was on sale for $20. I've caught a couple of nice channels on it, and I love how it handles. I also caught a 18lb. carp with it and it really held up!!! For the price, I would recomend this rod to anyone!!

16. carp46755

carp46755 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have 3 Cabelas king kat rods. They are very sturdy rods. And are not expensive.

17. Catcatcher26726

Catcatcher26726 New Member

State:
    wv
    I have one of there rods with a Penn 320 on it and love it. Cant beat themfor the money.

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Can anyone tell me why the Pro's would be any better than the regular King Kat Rods? I think the regular ones have a little more back bone, thats why I bought the Regular ones. Also I like the black foam handle better than the cork, and its easier to see the tip of the regular rod at night than it is the pro. :)

19. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well there are two versions of the King Kat Pro. The regular Pro and the signature series Pro. The regular pro rod is comparable to the original King Kat rod in that they are both e-glass rods,but the pro rod is blue with cork handle, while the original is white with black foam handle. I think maybe the guides are better on the Pro also. The signature series Pro rod is made of a graphite material that is supposed to make the rod more sensitive to biting cats while driftfishing. This rod looks the same in appearance to the regular Pro rod. I think a couple members of the board have had problems with the signature series rod ,but not the others. I still believe they are worth the $20 that they are marked down to right now. I hope I cleared this up for you!

20. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Thanks also from me. I was looking at a couple of these for myself, and after reading all of your posts, I will have the girfriend order me one or two for my birthday.

Ray