Cabelas king kat rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by sloenuf, Mar 28, 2007.

1. sloenuf

sloenuf New Member

State:
    cincinnati, ohio
    i was on cabelas site, just passing time and i came across this lil combo...
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=catfish&noImage=0
    i was wondering if anyone has used this rod before... the combo seems pretty cheap to me, considering around here the abu 6600 goes for about 85 by itself. do you guys think its a combo worth getting. or would it be better to get a different rod... itll be mostly for blues and flatties

2. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Mark;
    I've done business with Cabela's since 1992 and NEVER had a problem with them even the one or two times it was my fault to begin with! :smile2: I have a friend in the main Sidney, NE headquarters and also know Jim Cabela.
    Of the combination your looking at I personally would advise you to get either the 8' or 9' rod and the Baitcaster that comes with it sounds like an O.K. start until you get some experience with "Kat's" over 30-40#.
    If you buy it, try it, and just can't live with it I know that Cabela's will take it back, no problem, or work with you on some kind of exchange, ect.
    Personally, I prefer Cabela's over say Bass Pro Shops.
    If that particular product interests you, ... then I say GO FOR IT! :smile2:
    You might also look over what Catfish Connection has to offer too. http://www.catfishconnection.com
    In fact, I would advise you to get their free catalog, look through it, and keep it around as a reference if nothing else. I do business with them also as they have items that are specific to Catfish that neither Cabela's nor Bass Pro Shops carry and they are competitive on their pricing too.
    Hope this helps you out. Feel free to PM me if I can be of further help to you.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]
    Hope this helps.

3. sloenuf

sloenuf New Member

State:
    cincinnati, ohio
    yea if i got the combo i planned on gettin the 9' combo

4. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I've bought and used a lot of Cabela King Kat rods in 6'6" M and 8' M/H. Love them to death. Landed alot of 25-45lbs fish with them. If ya do break one you don't feel too bad considering their cost. Bottom line great combo for the price - besides Cabelas is a great company to work with if you do have a problem.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    To flimsy and cheaply made for my taste. Maybe a good starter rod but price says it all.

6. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yes they are a cheap rod BUT that doesnt always mean a bad rod. Especailly if you live close to a cabelas. Like stated earlier Cabelas normally has great customer service and will take back a rod if you have problems with it. I own two and have been using them since they were first introduced a few years ago. I have caught alot of flats in the 30-40lb range and have yet to have a problem. I am kinda disapointed they dont offter the King Kat pro with the cork handle any more but oh well. As far as the combo goes, if you are a part time catfishermen then its a good deal. You can always upgrade to a better rod in the future and throw that 6600 on it. Good Luck!

7. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I have a few of these and I find them very good rods for fishing. I have 2 of each in 10' - 6.6' and have baitcast and spinning on them. only had a break when i tried to bring up a motorcycle frame..lol.

like stated by earlier posts.. cheap but effective and I will keep buying these. I love them and for the money it's great.

Rhino

8. sloenuf

sloenuf New Member

State:
    cincinnati, ohio
    i have another quick question... does that look like a 6600 reel? because here the 6600 are a dark blue, not red like that one...

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the one cabelas has in the combo is a 6600cb the blue one is the 6600c4:wink: that should be an awsum combo.

10. sloenuf

sloenuf New Member

State:
    cincinnati, ohio
    ok thanks.. i just wanted to make sure im getting the right reel lol... now whats the difference between the cb and c4?

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    other than color L if i know, they both say they have carbon fiber drag so their good to go!