CABELAS king kat hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by beakus, Dec 15, 2006.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    has any body tried these hooks in the 10/0-16/0 sizes,i'm not much for big wire size hooks but gamma doesnt go bigger than a 8/0

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Not enough of a gap on those hooks, even the bigger ones.

3. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    The big King Kat Circle Hooks have a bigger gap but not big enough for the big bait you would use with these. It appears to me that the Circle Hooks were a fad that is quickly going out?? This past fall I used the Matzuro Sickle hooks in 7/0 and liked the hook up rate. I didn't hook a "big" cat so I don't know about their strength. They are similar to Kale hooks.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Circle hooks are the oldest design out there. I Don't think they're going to fade out anytime soon.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i got a bunch of those King Kats in a trade last year. the wire was way, WAY, i mean, WAY WAY (did i mention WAY?) WAY too thick! even the small ones could be used for a towing hook! no need for a sinker thats for sure. no doubt be good for Limblines though. i sold them right after i got 'em in the trade.

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    BPS shows Gamakatsu model 1205 circle in 10/0 & 12/0.

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Agree With The Previous Posts, The Wire Is Way To Thick And There's Not Enough Gap.

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    http://www.mustad.no/abouthooks/h_history.php

It Kills me when people think that circles are something new

Check out the hooks at the bottom of the page

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO

What are you going to catch on a 10/0 to 16/0 hook that you won't catch on an 8/0 hook?

10. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I'm totally confused. Two of you posted that "circle hooks" were the oldest form of hooks. I have been fishing for many years and it's only recently that I came across the "modern" circle hooks. I would appreciate any clarification on this subject.

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Circle hooks were orginally designed for commercial long line fisherman. It is true that fairly recently they have found their way into freshwater fishing, and might I add with great success. They were designed to keep the fish on the hook. The fact that as a catfish hook they tend to allow us to release more unharmed is a bonus that was not planned.

12. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Thanks Neocats!! I appreciate your setting me straight on Circle Hooks. As I said, it's only recently that I have seen them. I've tried them but it's hard for me to wait for the cat to hook himself after a lifetime of "setting the hook". Again, thanks.

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Circle hooks may not be the best choice in every application (judging by all the negative feedback), but in some applications they will outperform other designs by a longshot.

In the section of the Missouri River where I fish, you will be typically anchored in heavy current fishing with rods in sturdy rod holders. When a catfish of decent size (typically a Blue cat) hits the bait, they tend to immediately run downstream with it. Most of the time, you will not have time to pick up the rod and set the hook, because the catfish has already hooked itself. That's where the beauty and effectiveness of the hook really shines.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post and I also use circle hooks when I feel tired or lazy and just want to kick back and let the hook do the work. When I feel strong and have not had a bite for awhile I like to use kahle hooks so I can slam it home hard.

15. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    like mostly everyone else will say, the gap looks wall to small to get a good hook up. im gunna tyr and use kahle hooks this spring but have to order them so its lazer sharp circles for now in 4 for channels and 7-8 for bigger blues

16. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I like circle hooks, so don't get me wrong. The way I use them is bankfishing, with the rod in a good rod holder. I tight line using a carolina rig and just wait for the rod to load up...start going crazy. Usually by the time that happens all you have to do is reel in the fish. He has already set the hook himself. ***But not always***

17. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    the first word that comes to my mind on those bass pro hooks is DULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL................:smile2:

18. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use gamakatsu octopus from 7/0-10/0 still my favorite hooks.

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Nobody ever did answer my question...

What catfish could you possibly be fishing for that you need a 10/0 or 16/0 hook??

20. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The hooks he is talking about are really made for set line fishing and they are on the stout side. I have some but did a little tweaking on them to use for my way of using them. Have I caught fish on them,yes as I was playing around one night and put one on and baited with a piece of skipjack and went to sleep. Didnt get to sleep as a 60 lb blue decided he wanted to become a movie star and get his picture taken. Fish hooked himself an the first hit and all I had to do was reel in the fish. Fun landing one that size by yourself.There are alot of hooks out there to try stuff with and I am always trying them to see what will work best.