Cabela's King Kat circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bradb, Oct 28, 2009.

1. bradb

bradb New Member

State:
    ohio
    Has anybody used Cabela's King Kat circle hooks? I'm thinking of getting some to try, but want to hear of your experiences w/ them.

Attached Files:

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    they are verrrrry thick wire i got some that i havent given too mutch of a try. with there thickness they would probally be better for a bank line than rod and reel

3. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Not much room between the point and the shank. Might lose hookups with larger baits?

4. bradb

bradb New Member

State:
    ohio
    that was kinda my way of thinking on them; thick and not much gap. still, maybe i'll try some. the people that reviewed them on cabela's website love em, and they usually aren't shy about trashing a product they don't like.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i always go with the BOC reviews, we are professionals among amateurs compared to the guys that review on cabelas website.

6. bradb

bradb New Member

State:
    ohio
    i swung by cabelas this afternoon and got a few 10/0 and 12/0 red. will give them a good workout and see for myself.

7. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    I used some hooks that look like that, but were not red. I don't remember the brand, but I bought them at Cabela's I kept losing too many Flats breaking free from the hook. So I blamed the hooks and change to a different kind.I don't know for sure if it was the hooks or just me.But so far I'm having better luck with the different kind of hook.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i almsot bought some yesterday.....i have ahd terrible luck with circle hooks though...im about to jsut go back to a big J and hope that works..if these end up being miracle hooks for soembody let me know though..ill try almsot anything

9. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Sounds like the "miracle" will be if you ever use them. :wink: :smile2:

Ray

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

through the summer me and my family fished 6 days a week about 10 hours a day..we used kahles, circles, small Js..trebles and stink bait.. on the big bait..i bet we lsot a fisha night on the circles and kahles..the only flats we caught were all on 2/0 Js...when a fish takes my 8 oz bait adn 6 oz weight and pulls it and takes drag and i set teh hook like Cecil Fielder..it should eventually hang ...i dont knwo what my problem is..tried the circles..same thing..rod hodlers pulled from the ground...10 second fight ..no fish

11. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I looked at them as well and they looked too thick to hold a good sized bait and leave any point exposed my vote is pass on them and keep shopping:wink:

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    wonder how well theyd work on a trotline?

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Trotlines aren't allowed in PA so useless for that application for me but maybe you guys could give em a try:wink:

14. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    They SUCK!!! Not enough gap between the point and shank to even hook a 10lb. fish. And thats on an 11/0 hook!

15. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Right there's the problem...you don't "set" the hook with circle hooks. Just pick up the rod and hold it until you feel the fish...then simply raise the rod to fighting position...the fish hook themselves. By jerking, you are actually pulling the hook out of the fishes mouth before it has a chance to turn. A circle hook is designed to slowly rotate into the corner of a fishes mouth as it is being pulled...a fish swimming off with the bait is the perfect speed for it to turn and catch. I hope you give them another try...it took me about a month to realize what I was doing wrong...now my hook up percentage is over 90% easily.

Tight lines.