Cabela's King Cat Rod Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Whiskers4U, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    For those that have these rods, what is the tip action like? I have heard that is it light or it is suppose to be. How about the blank...cheaply made or made well enough to handle the big cats.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    It is a little too flimsey for me..Thats my opinion though

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i got one and i really like it, the biggest cat i have cought off of it was a 16lb flattie... and i really horsed him in

seems to me that it is a fast action(or heavy) where the tip bends

but mine is a KING KAT PRO and i ordered it in the heavy size

i like mine, i cant wait to catch a biggun to really test it out but i think it will do GREAT

i love mine

Jeff

4. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Kevin search some past threads on these rods personally I dont like them seen them in cabelas this weekend and they seem a little tame.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the action is slow the whole rod loads up but its got backbone i was being stupid horsing in a log i snaged and i didnt break it i thought it should have. biggest fish ive cought on one is a 30 pound blue no prob.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Those rods were made to drift fish current with. Where you need to be able to feel everything that is going on.
    But still have strength to haul a fish in.
    So there like all the other rods made. There good for what there made to do,
    Pete

7. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    That's a 14 and 13 pounder in my avatar and my 9' KingCat Pro didn't break a sweat reeling those in. I use 65lb braid with it.

The other day I hauled in a 50+ lb tree branch in heavy current no problem at all. :smile2:

8. ronnycl

ronnycl Member

State:
    NW/MS
    I fished with one two weeks ago, definetly has a limber tip and you can feel every bump...no problem reeling in a 28lb blue.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Actually only one model, The Phil King Sig Series was made for Drifting. The reg series King Kat Pro are almost like the reg King Kat's except they have a cork handle. Opinons will differ on the rods, some say they are great, some say they are horrible. Me personally I think for $20 they are a good channel rod, again just me personally I think they are a little too light for serious flathead fishing. Now again it's juts my personal opinon, I would not buy the PHil King series if they were reduced ANOTHER 50%. When they 1st came out the Phil king series were $44.99, now they are $19.99 & in my opinon are not worth $10, but that's just mine.

There are times though, where I wished I still had some of my Kin Kat Pros for channel catting. I think I've had a total of 6 of them.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a king kat pro, used one time..My opnion is it is the biggest piece of junk rod I have ever seen..It has a very, very thin eglass blank..And the guides are the cheapest I have ever seen..I would only use it if I did not care if I landed the fish or not, which will be never agin.

11. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I have both the King Kat and King Kat Pro they are not the best in my opinion. There is many of other rods that are better. Also the tip is a little stiff and you can fling alot of bait off. Also one of the rods has a Dark blue blank which is about worthless at night. Take care and God Bless.

12. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have a 8ft & 9ft king kat pro spinning rods. Love em! I have never had a single problem landing any big fish on them. A great rod if you are using circle hooks for.

BTW Cabelas is no longer producing the King Kat Pros. Still making the regular King Kats. As far as blank color for seeing at night. It makes no difference if you are using a rod tip light.