Cabelas King Cat or Eagle Claw Cat Claw?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by FATFLATTIE, Jul 16, 2007.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I was just wondering what you guys thought about these rods. I'm looking at buying two new rods and these seem fairly reasonable. Was wondering if they were just cheap and not worth the money or if they perform fairly well. I fish for all species of cats in BIG rivers, small rivers, and lakes so I need a fairly versatile rod.

I really like the look of those American Spirit Nitestick Pro model rods, but I don't know if I want/can spend that kind of money on the rods.

I just wish that I could find two more Berkley Big Game casting rods. I really like the ones that I have, I just can't find anymore of them.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, since nobody can help me with these rods, has anyone every used the American Spirit Nitestick Pro model? I like the 7'6" model. They look pretty nice, I just wonder what kind of action they have and it they are truly worth the extra money. I also like the fact that they have a trigger on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if somebody does happen to have some experience with either of the rods mentioned in my previous post feel free to comment on them as well.

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    only imput i can give you on the American Sprit rods is that ive seen them in Gander Mountain and i love the way they feel. theyr sturdy but still have enough play in the tip to see bites. next rod/reel i get is gunna be a 9 foot m/h American Spirt Nite Stick with an Abu 7500 on it. but until then i can only dream.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i have a 9' king kat and it does seem to be a fairly versitile rod because its flexy. as long as your not in the heavest current you can find it doesent bend alot. ive pulled verry hard on some snags not nessarily trying to break it but seeing what happened and the log moved and the pole didnt break, so it will handle big fish but a small one will bend it good. the eyes are cheep and few that would probally be the worst thing about this rod. i dont have any of the other rods so i cant give an opinion but doesent wallmart carry the big game rods?

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Hey I have a American Spirit 7 foot spinning and my fishing buddy has a King Kat Rod which I have used.In my opinion the King Kat Rod is a bet more "flexible" but still has enough backbone. The American Spirit is more on the stiffer side but still has just enough flex to detect bites. The American Spirit Rod seem to be a bit more cheaply made. I had order one that two pieces didnt fit and then the replacement has a loose guide. So it depends I guess a bit stiffer or a bit more flexible. Why not get both at $20 for the Cabelas and $25 or so for the American Spirit Rod cant go wrong.

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Wes, I took a couple friends out fishing for the first time on the Mississippi, before their big trip they went and purchased the Cabela's King Kat rods, spinning reels, and spooled them with 60 pound power pro.

My buddy's first catfish ever was a 43 pound blue caught on the King Kat rod! The rod did fantastic and in fact I am now thinking of purchasing a couple myself! Here is a picture of the fish he pulled in to the boat. Oh by the way we were fishing in about 35 feet of heavy current!

Attached Files:

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Thanks guys for all the useful information. I'm still kinda undecided on what to use. Seems like everyone has had both positive and negative experiences with all three rods. I just don't know what to do. Oh well, I guess when I decide I'll let ya know what I got and how I like it.

8. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    wally world carries the berkley big game rods for $ 20 each.

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I know, that's where I got the two that I have now. It's just that they ran out and now I can't find any at any of the Walmart stores in town.