Cabela's King Cat Fishing Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kenlaw76, Apr 17, 2009.

1. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Has anyone ever used one of these. I am lookin to get a few new rods and I was wondering how they perform.

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    eyelets are junk.

3. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    IMO they should be called cabelas squire cat rods, I don't think they'll handle a king....

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I agree, I have one and I wouldn't trust it on a fish over 30lbs. Too limber.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    for $20 they aint bad i got an 8 and 9'. like was said the eyes are cheep and may need a touch of glue to keep the insert in but i really like the bend it is a little soft but ive cought fish over 30# in good current no problem. they work pretty good with circles over all good rod rod and yes id buy more. i dont think ive heard of anyone breaking one.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive been using the 8' MH 2 piece spinning ones for three yrs now with no problems. Biggest fish was 45 lb. flathead, and I was very impressed by the way that it handled. Best thing about those rods is, if you ever have a problem with one, Cabelas will exchange it no questions asked. Great deal. I havent had an eyelet pop out yet, but I have heard it has happened. A little super glue around each one of them , and you shouldnt have any problems. For the price, you cant beat them. :cool2:

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have a 6 ft, two 7 ft. and an 8 ft and for 20 bucks ya can't beat them, i caught the 25# on the 6 ft'er and that is only a med action pole, i mainly use the two 7 ft'ers when i go out and have no douts they will handle anything in the river, the newer ones are built better and have better eyelests and are rated 12-30 lb line weight, you'll have ta check mine out

8. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I have 2 7 footers the eyelets are reinforced now with a third metal bar I caught my 27 pound fish no problem on it and it would have taken much more :wink:

9. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use the King Kat spinning and casting rods, never had any problems whatsoever, either with the eyelets or otherwise. For $20 bucks you can't go wrong.

10. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    So the eyes are better on the new ones? Just lost the eyes on mine 2 days ago.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    take it up there they should exchange it for a new one then you can tell us if there better :wink:

12. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    My rod barely even bent with a 27# fish on ,I think they can handle much bigger fish 40 on up no doubt ,I have full confidence in my rods I think the line would snap first before the rod would give JMO

13. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My brother just came back from the Florida Keys. He brought 3 King Kat rods with him for some saltwater fishing. He has video of pulling in several small sharks (6 ft or so) on a King Kat pole, which he loaded with 100 lb mono because the 50 power pro braided was breaking mid-line when he hooked what he thought were tarpon.

I would not have believed it if he didn't take video. I knew that the King Kat rods were tough because I have used them for 3 years now, but that was a true testiment of their limits.

Bottom line: $20 goes a long way with those rods. I have never popped an eyelit on mine, nor has my bro. If I do, I have already gotten my 20 bucks worth (plus Cabela's will replace it like kscathunter said)

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i am in the market for two new rods the 8ft. MH casting rod king cat caut my eye but thay dont say how many oz wait thay are rated for can any of you tell me what thay will handle

15. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Dallas, king kat MH 8' casting line wt. 14 - 30 lb.

16. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    poppa im needing to know the lure oz wait that thay can take :wink: the most this rod will probly ever see is 2oz sinker but i dont want it flexing down with 2oz of wait i hate a week tip rod:eek:oooh:

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i believe the rating is 1-4oz. ive thrown 8oz no prob, they arnt a soft tip rod the whole rod flexes evenly.

18. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i heard the eyes are junk on those rods

19. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks Brandon i was hoping you would see this post i new you had the anser i was looking for:wink::cool2: i will get me two next week if thay have them in stock when i go to cabelas

20. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i own 4 of them and haven't had any problems, all the fish in my photo album were caught with them, this year cabelas made a few changes to the rod and the eyelets are beefy'er then they were last year(got 2 more this year and they are better then the ones i bought last year) they reenforced the eyelets and also up'ed the line rating, for 25 bucks i haven't found anything close and had no problems pulling in the 35#'er thats in my avatar:wink: