Cabela's BIGWATER Telescopic rod.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by peewee williams, Aug 29, 2007.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Cabela's BIGWATER Telescopic 14' MH 12-30 lb.test E04 rod is a great tool.It collapses to 42 1/2 inches and is a very sturdy and stiff rod.They come in 10,12 and 14 foot lengths.They are called a spinning rod but the first guide is rather small for a spinning rod.I call it a tool as they are great to use for bank,bridge,pier,jetty,log piles and such where you need to physically lift a fish up and/or out with out benefit of a net.They are a great replacement for the old "Calcutta" poles we used for Sheapshead fishing for generations.There are many rods better for many things,but few are as good as this rod is for these situations.Now monofilament is the only line that I ever used,so I have no idea how they will do with braid.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    I've seen these advertised and always wondered about quality and usefulness. A 14' standard rod is hard to fit in a 6' pickup box. The collapsable feature makes it handy for transportation. I belive I have seen them on sale as Rod and Reel combo's. I may just need to encourage that itch.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Pewee!! I Have a Fishing Buddy of Mine and He has 2 of them Bad Boy's and He LOVES them.He can whip them baits WAY out there.God Bless J.D.

4. aaron

aaron New Member

State:
    louisiana
    thanks for the tip peewee

aaron

5. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Thanks for the info peewee. What kind of reel did you use on it, spinning or level wind??
    Bill

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It is a spinning rod.Daiwa and Zebco spin cast with 10 & 12 lb.line,old Daiwa 7000 spinning with 15 and Okuma Coronado CD 90 with 20 & 30 mono.Zebco SW 888 with 20 lb.,and Johnson Maxum with 14 lb.Like I said.It is a tool.It is great for lifting a fish out from between two logs and such 12-14 feet from the boat.Great for the places that you can reach with the long limber poles,but with a fish on they bend and now you cain;t lift it out.They are stiff,but this is why they work.They will work with a level wind but the 14 ft has 4 eyes and a tip.You can carry it along and just break it out when you need it and use any reel if you wish as you just let it out and reel in what and when you need it.It is suppose to be a heavy surf rod,but we have never used it as such.I had a good day and tried all of the reels on it just to see what all worked beside spinning.The stiffness does not seem to hurt the hookup with Kahles.With J hooks,it is best to feel the line for a nibble.I have little feeling,and it is heavy to me now as is everything.Man,it will do the job in a log jam.Meat rod,not a sporting unless you have a 20-100+lb.fish on with a heavy reel.I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee