Cabela's bait tank- steel agitator aerators

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by stumpjumper, Nov 16, 2007.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Has anyone ever used or have any comments on Cabelas large oval insulated bait tanks? I would really like to hear opinions on the stainless steel agitator aerators that come with the larger models. They look pretty stout. Are they effective, dependable and quiet? Thanks for any feedback.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I haven't tried that one but I have the insulated Keep Alive tank (I think I see them in the Cabela's catalogue) and I love it.

Keep alive is a sponsor here too.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    What are you going to put in the bait tank?

A tank like that is worthless for keeping shad, but might work for goldfish, minnows, bluegill, etc.

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I wasn't sure if it would work. I am planning on keeping shad so I guess the agitator is out of the question. I like the Keep Alive and want to buy from a BOC sponsor. The problem is that I have a Cabelas certificate I wanted to use. The descriptions in Cabelas are vague. They do not specify if the Keep Alive models they sell are insulated. I guess I need to call. Thanks for your help.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    The Keep Alive works well with Shad. Read their info. and make sure to buy the "better bait" and the "shad saver"

Go to the Keep Alive site and then compare them pricewise and I am sure you'll know if they are insulated or not.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You'd be a lot happer with a Creek Bank, Blue Water or Grayline bait tank.

Success in keeping shad for any period of time is not based on how well you aerate the water; it's based on how well you filter the water. A glob of foam rubber wrapped around a bilge pump won't quite cut it.

Buy a bait tank with a well-designed and easy to maintain filter system and you'll be rewarded with shad that are still as lively and fresh at the end of the day as they were when you first caught them.

You can get away with a poorly-designed system or even a home-built system from about October through April while the water is cold. But trust me, when it's 105 degrees outside and you need to keep shad alive all day, those cheap systems will let you down.

As for additives, get some Better Bait (*not* Shad Keeper) and either some plain water softener salt crystals or Stock Salt (both for about $5/50lb bag). Add a capful of Better Bait and about 1 cup of salt per 10 or 15 gallons of water.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Marc,
    Steve Brown (catfishsafari BOC name) is a BOC sponsor and carries creek bank bait tanks. Creekbanks are simply the best tank out there if You want live shad no matter what get one of them.