Cabelas Aluminum Boat Patch

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Liver Slinger, May 5, 2008.

1. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Finally got my boat patch today. Its the green sticks I think its Scotchkote 226P.

Wanting some pointers on applying this stuff.

The old boat had the bottom painted with mobile home roof paint like tar.
    I removed all I could with gas, but know there still might be some down in the rivets.

About all the Instructions tells is to abrade the surface & wipe clean

Heat area to 350 deg. and rub stick into it.

Would a heat gun get hot enough? Kind of afraid to use a propane torch on the aluminum.

I leak tested today run water in her up to the water line.
    I was kind of surprized that the old boat did not leak much at all. I bet you could keep it out all day and only leak a quart or quart and half.

Like some advise thanks
    Liver

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    If that is all it leaks I would not bother with it. But I have used those sticks on a older boat I used to have. I used a torch. To be honest I dont think much about those sticks. They would work for a little while than the boat would start leaking again. Did what the instructions sayed to do. If you have a heat gun it should work I think the torch is quicker.

Tom

3. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I think Ill give it a go .
    Hey did get the welding done today on the transom brace , he did a great job.

Im gettin closer need to start thinking about bow mount trolling motor.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't know nothing about those sticks.Me I just use good ol J.B. Weld. Seems to work pretty darn good.So far anyway.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    At that rate, I don't know how much I would worry about the leak at all. I would say use the patch since you have it. Dry feet are always good, but it don't sound like you have much of a problem.

I don't have any experience with such things so I can offer no advice.

6. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    J.B. Weld is one of the greatest products out there. You can fix most anything with it. You can file it, drill it, tap threads in it and...stop a leak in a boat. I repaired a cracked outside hydrant with it 4 years ago and it still doesn't leak. It is easier to apply than that stick repair stuff. It will sink into cracks and rivits and stay put. I keep it in the shop all the time!:roll_eyes:

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Heat gun will work, but like said torch is faster, I have used the sticks on 2 boats and the seal has been fine for 3-4 years now..... but you really don't sound like ya have much of a leak. Just remember you want to melt the stick from the hot aluminum and not with the torch or gun, thats what will draw it into the crack or hole. Kind of like sweating a pipe in a way.

8. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have been using, pickup bedline for a few patch jobs, gutter and such seems to be very tough, Should work on a boat better than silcon. a little price 18.00 a can at Orelly's. Auto.
    Jim

9. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I can personally say that jb weld does NOT stop leaky rivets. it did however stop a pin hole leak i had in th bottom of th boat caused by hitting somethin sharp and hard. was that way when I got it. I put some jb weld on that lil hole an viola (walla) it no leaky, but most of th rivets still leak after putting jb weld on them. I am actually goin to repaint th outside of my boat w/epoxy paint I ordered from www.fascoepoxies.com ouchita introduced that stuff to me, my cousin actually agreed w/him, said that epoxy paint is th best bet to stop leaks in your lil jon boat. cost is around $60 total s&h included, but its worth every cent.

10. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    and when I say leak, I mean in like 30 min I have over 4 gallons in my boat. is that a leak or what?

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I don't see a little bit of leaking as a big deal, unless a boat stays in the water unattended.

Get a bilge pump, which you should have, anyway, and pump it out if it bothers you.

12. JimG

JimG New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you can get to both sides of the rivet try this-

1. Drill the rivet out. Usually rivets on aluminum boats have a 1/4" shank, not always but most of the time.
    2. Clean the area around the hole (a circle just a little larger than the original rivet).
    3. Purchase a 1/4" stainless steel panhead machine screw, one 1/4" stainless steel washer, and one stainless steel NYLock nut. You will also need either Sashco Lexel or 100% silicone in the color of your choice.
    4. Put a dab of the sealant in the hole and install the screw with the washer under the nut. Tighten FIRMLY. Cut off the excess threads with plenty of water to keep the NYLock nut insert and Lexel cool.

This is better and stronger than any aluminum rivet. It is for the most part permanent. It will NOT leak under normal use. Obviously if you cannot get to both sides of the rivet this will do you no good.

13. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks Guys
    guess I went little over kill but I used it on evey rivet below the water line.
    She dont leak but my WalMart boat plug leaks- the adjuster bolt that runs through the center maybe 1/4 cup in 4 hours:0a22:

Maybe I can find a solid plug then shell be dry

& when I say dry I mean Bone Dry:0a33:

The boat patch seems to be pretty good tuff stuff so far :cross: I know its easy to apply & fast .

Ive heard re pining rivets can be a little risky
    Thanks again guys
    shes done and in the water
    Now If I can just catch a Fish:0a23:
    Liver