C&R the big catfish, eat the small.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigkane, Aug 12, 2009.

1. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
  2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    some still wont get it though:sad2: good post kane, reps to ya!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Definitely the answer to future fisheries. Thanks.

5. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Speaking from first hand experience this theory does work!! I'm so glad that it is the common attitude up here! The majority of people up here CPR the trophy's just look at the manitoba master angler entries

http://www.travelmanitoba.com/master_angler_search.asp?fish=1

just select a species and search away.

6. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for reminding all of us how important C&R is man!

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Jeremy good post ,thanks :cool2:

8. rtduckie

rtduckie New Member

State:
    illinois
    i'm not totally sold,i see boatloads of big cats being taken in nets by commercial boys,so if someone wants to keep his trophy,why not...and wheres the cut off if you do cpr? my 10 lber might be your catch and release fish.if i'm hungry for fish ,they're going in the freezer.

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Good find....

10. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Thanks for posting that. Up here in Michigan the fish take a long time to grow to large size, trophies should be released. Our trophies are smaller than those down South. My personal policy is that any catfish larger than 25" gets a picture and released, I'd rather have a stringer of smaller channels and keep up the fishery. I can catch smaller ones all day long for food, up to 10 per day. Here you've posted some evidence that it does work. Reps to you.

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Got any Pictures of these boat loads of big cats?.

I hear alot of stories of them, But have not once seen a picture to verify..I know they catch more species of fish than cats in these nets, do they just keep the cats or what?

I do throw all fish over 8-10lb back, just what I do :wink:

12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    great post bro thanks!!! I release everything over 10 pounds just for that purpose.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  13. aruanaman

aruanaman New Member

State:
    Fort Madison Iowa
    I've heard of this rtdukie guy. luckily, he only catches the big ones when his buddy is along,...and he's a C&R guy! :roll_eyes: There's plenty of meat to be had on the better tasting smaller fish, so throw the big ones back, and catch them again next year when they are bigger yet! They just don't get to be 40, 50lbs overnight. and they won't, when people are keeping them at 25lbs...Catch and release over 10 is what I do. any fisherman worth his salt can catch more than enough smaller fish to keep the freezer full.

(smiley face was for kenny)

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok,I aint making waves,But somehow every time theres a CPR poll or debate it allways seems to consern flats,Why is that?? I have a legitimate cpr question to all you " TROPHY CAT HUNTERS" When do they ever get big ,if ya eat all the baby's?? Here we have a real problem catching any fish over 6 lbs,but I see folks taking BASKETS of 10"-12" channels home. That irks me to no end. I'd rather eat one 4 lb fish than a truckload oftiny ones. not to mention the hassle of TRYING to clean them baby fish.

15. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    No doubt that releasing the big ones and keeping the little ones is the gateway to a trophy fishery!

16. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Well for one state's DNR stocks Channels every year if not more in lakes they will only stock flats in a lake one time. Unless they end up draining the lake because of some problem. The bigger fish have IMHO big fish genes they get big some how and I would think that the genes would carry over to there offspring.

I too would rather clean a 4lb channel then some tiny one's IMO I keep channels up to 5lbs an release all others an even then I don't really keep any just maybe once a year and I fish atleast 2 times a week.

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    If you really want to see a trophy catfishery out of this world, release all catfish - big and small. We can get our fish in the market instead. That would be interesting to see the results of that in the long run. :wink:

Other than that, I can not speak on a lot of your locations regulations but sounds like a petition is the way to go to get the point across to the state fisheries management. Limits or size limitation or certain creel #'s enforced. But the CPR thing is never ending and a lot of people do not want anyone telling them what to do and interupting in their business. They look at it as another form of big government. We are in the minority here because catfish is looked at as a trash fish in many waters including to other fisherman of other species. The real culprit that should be adressed besides the angler is the commercial guys and the paylakes that buys thems. The average angler in my opinion is not doing much or any damage to the trophy fishery as we think they are. More than half of them (rod and reel anglers) lose trophies anyways to not having the right equipment or being broke off. Jug anglers I can not speak on, but I still can not imagine them doing as much damage as commercial guys.