C O2 System

Discussion in 'Boating' started by ncfowler, Dec 16, 2006.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    a few weeks ago i thought i had a leak in my built in tank in my boat, well after getting all the fittings and and hoses checked and tank pressure checked all is fine but there is a still a gas smell in the builge area which is the full length of my boat, I am lookin into getting a co2 system and a builge venting system as well, I know the venting system will be cheap and easy to install, but does anyone have any idea how to install the co2 fire suppression system in a boat. thanks.

2. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Just my opinion but there are too many unknowns and variables for anyone to give you a decent estimate. What kind of boat, raft, jon, or yacht? Length would be nice to know too. Inboard/outboard engine? You can google marine fire suppression systems and several sites allow you to do a rough design based upon your real needs.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ditto what Tom said.
    They are not hard to fit but some more specifics would be helpful. If you are capable of doing your own maintenance you should be able to do it...W

4. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I would hate to have a boat fire but what scares me the most when I smell gas fumes is an explosion! I think you did well with what you have checked.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I agree with travis. A fire suppression system in this case would be a waste of money. If fumes ignite they explode instantly and before a suppression system could be utilized.
    Bilge fire suppression is more suited to inboard engine boats or engine rooms on larger boats to suppress fire.

6. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    today we went out for a little and there was no real oders or an fule in the builge. Thanks for your comments I think just getting a builge ventalation system installed which will keep any build up fo fumes. once again thanks