C.J. Brown

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Big Eli, May 8, 2006.

1. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    Been fishing it every weekend for a month now without much luck. But Sunday was a different story. Went after church & had lots of hits. Boated 4 nice keepers largest around 5 lbs (channels)

Doc Lange had a full page artical in the Springfield paper last week telling some of his secrets. You sure could tell people read it. They had "Goose Island" surounded!!!!

As I was unloading some guy pulled down the ramp in an old classic car like an old Sunbeam. I thought what the he!! is he doing then he drove right into the lake!!!! It was one of thoughs boat cars. You should have seen the faces on the people at the ramp! Neetest things I've seen in a while. Didn't have the camera when have been great pic to post!

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :confused2: ??????

3. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Goose Island is no secret and is typically fished by every catfisherman out there. Tim has had basically the same info that was provided in the News Sun up on his website forever. He provides the locations and step-by-step
    instructions on how to catfish CJ.

The dude in that car is local and does that a few times each year - lucky you saw him though as it is pretty cool! He always gets everybody's attention!

Congrats on finally getting into some fish!

4. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    Tims site is very detailed. I have not had much luck up in the flats at CJ. Most of my fish come from drifting around the no wake break point where the water level changes are. I have an old friend that used to fish up there years ago. I promised him I'd take him out this year. He said that he allways had good luck up there & having a seasoned vet on hand is allways better than word of mouth.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on the catches, CJ is one of the few places I have not fished within 100 miles. Will have to hit that water sometime.

6. firecat

firecat New Member

State:
    OHIO Go Bucks
    Josh and I went out and dodged the rain drops yesterday. Had our first fish in the boat before I got the bait on the 2nd pole. We only fished for about an hour just before dark we boated 5 fish with the biggest being 5 pounds. Got our shad in the marina. Josh had alot of fun.

Larry

7. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    Going out Saturday evening for the night. I'll be in my new "toon". Tan & Green "Mental Welfare" is her name. If anyone's out give me a shout! Hope to post picks next week!

8. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I made it over to CJ Friday late night mostly to gather shad for a trip elsewhere. After getting my bait I decided to run up north to the channel that runs through the mud flat. I caught 2 channels in an hour while on the phone with a freind planning the weekend events. There were the only 2 bites I got and both nice fish - 27.5 inches and 24 inches. They were extremely swollen with shad - looked like little basketballs stuffed in their stomachs!

9. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Fished yesterday at CJ started out like gangbusters, the new breaker wall is holding Shad like crazy, one throw over 2 dozen large ones, headed for the North end of the lake and within 30 min. I had boated 4-10# Channel cats, so I called Pop's and told him I was on them and so he came out, he musta jinxed me cause we struggled the rest of the day only managing 6 more fish and one was an 8# with the others under 4#

Bellys are swelled up massive feeding on Shad and the larger ones heads are swelled up from prespawn, but they all hit the rods hard each and every time.

Yea since the article in the paper there have been a lot of people out there fishing, whats good is they are catching fish.

Stopped back at the breaker wall to get some more Shad for the freezer, one throw and I had a 5 gallon bucket full of them, vacuum packed 170 Shad for when times get tough at finding them.

It will be a zoo out there this weekend but I may venture out Saturday night for some fresh Shad, heading to the river on Sunday.............Doc

10. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice to hear shad are easy to come by out there Doc and congrats on the catches. Always nice to have Shad on hand when you need em.

11. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good job Doc! They sure are stuffed full of shad!

I think I may run out there tonight and fish late night to early morning. I'll get off the lake long before the weekend party shows up. I need to grab some more shad as I too am heading for the river this weekend.

Good luck everybody!

12. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    Got to the ramp about 4:30pm. DNR was there watching guys try to trailer there sunken boat. After they got it on the trailer he went to his boat & got his special note pad to write them a little love letter. I think alcohol may have been involved!?!?

Couldn't fish main lake to many water curners. Set up in the north end around 8:30pm & never moved. Non-stop all night! Tryed to nap around 3:00am but the bells kept ringing & ringing & ringing!!! I hate it when that happens.

No real giants but I got a mess of nice eaters.

Attached Files:

13. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I took a buddy out Sunday night - put in @ 10pm and ran up to the north end. Anchored down and never moved. Action lasted all night until around 4am. We boated around 20 fish (lost count) and lost 2 at the boat; biggest was 28 inches 5.8 lbs. My buddy must have missed at least 12 good bites with his rod totally bent over learning to use circle hooks too:lol: Lake was as flat as I've ever seen it. I C & R 99% of the fish I catch, but we have freinds in from Florida so we kept a cooler full (released some too). Cleaned up we had a little over 2 gallon baggies of catfish nuggets.

Headed out @ 5am and there were only a few trailers left in the lot. A couple eye guys about to put in as we pulled out of the lot. Shad popping everywhere in the north end all night long. Fish all caught in 6 fow, surface temp there was 78.9 degrees.

14. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish guys, keep up the good work.

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Doc's site is very good! I've been over it several times now heh.. He's got a great sonar section and his boat setup is awsome...

16. cab9379

cab9379 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught alot of nice channels down by the boat marina to.