C hooks VS J HOOKS

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by richmondherperman, Oct 7, 2008.

1. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    I think if you don't like c hooks you are not using them right witch is not hard to do that is all i use.

2. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I think you shouldn't pick fights in the brotherhood.

Like everything else in fishing, its a matter of personal choice, and confidence.

3. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    i fish khales and dont have any problems with them, some people swear by circles but i havent had a need for them i get about a 90% hookup rate and gut hook very few fish and as a added bonus i get to rip lips:smile2:. with that being said use what works for you and what you have confidence in, its kinda like the red hooks some people like then some dont see the need.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I still use j hooks but i dont usually change what works .

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use a variety of hooks whenever I am fishing. It all depends on what species I am targeting. If I'm after flatheads with large live Bluegills, then I use a 9/0 King Kahle. If I'm targeting Channels, I usually go with J- hooks. If I'm targeting Blues....I use J-hooks and Circles. I usually dont change this tactic. It seems to work well for me.:smile2:

6. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    It is not just hook up rate wen you let it go it will live always with a c hook and i get 100% of fish with 8/0 a ugly stick with the drag set so if a real monster gets on it will pull.And i let every last fish go.

7. richmondherperman

State:
    va
    All i have in my box are hooks aside from kingfish hooks and spanish hooks.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    bieng universal is a must I use several different kinds of hooks and circles is one ...the best I think not..nor the only two styles to use..."c & j hooks"..they have there applications as has been said but when you have fished 30 yrs with J hooks its hard not to rip the hook out of tis mouth:crazy: them circles caused me some misses(LOL)Yup it's all good!

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ain't it though?! LOL:big_smile:

10. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Part of the fun is trying to cross their eyes,...Can't do that with c hooks:roll_eyes:

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have also fished with j hooks for yrs. and when i switched to circle hooks it took a little gettin used to not crossin some eyes, but it did seem to increase my hookups with the circles, ya just have ta train yourself not to rip their lips off

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    On cats all I use is circles . My only need for a kahle is on small bait ( herring, threadfin's ) because of the thin wire , it helps keep the bait alive and moving easier. I do love kahles for Stripers, less hook they see the better. J-hooks are out for me, they snag up to much when drifting.

For me I couldn't care less about crossing eyes....just the fight and landing the fish ......circle hooks do that for me.

IMO if you are missing fish on other style hooks then circle hooks might be worth learning . Most Catfish guides ( all the ones I know ) use circles...and for a good reason they produce more hook up's for their clients .

If it works don't fix it....if it don't work...use circle hooks .

-Jim-

13. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like circle's and kahle circle's for the big ones and kahle's for the skillet fish

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have read many opinions on this subject. I think it depends on the water you fish. This business about crossing their eyes is a non factor for me. I bank fish using 12' rods in the river which usually has a fairly strong current. I can cast my Abu Pro Rockets a nice distance. I can only guess the distance, but let's say my bait is out 80 yards. I guarantee I can set that hook as hard as I can and I doubt if any fish over #10 would feel anything, I know I won't be crossing any eyes. I have been using octopus circles for a few years and have had great success with them. Every catch is in the corner of the mouth and every fish released alive.