C and D canal? Any Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by FTL6, May 2, 2009.

1. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    Does anybody fish the C and D canal? Is there flats in there? Fished it many years ago and only caught channels 3 to 5 lbs..

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    My Grandmom lived on the Elk river a trib of the Chesapeake and I never even heard of flats back then but the channel action was awesome:wink:

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    me and my dad used to fish there years ago and catch nice channels around 10# and we used liver, never tried live bait but i would think there are some nice ones in there, we used to fish under the st. george bridge off rt. 13 in delaware

4. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    We oughta go down and give it a try Lenny go back the Elk and throw some sunnies probably get some monsters,who knows:confused2:

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I don't think flatheads can tolerate the salinity of brackish waters. But who knows, just my 2 cents.

6. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Lots of springs feed into that brackish river Tan I've seen some really nice bass pulled out of there why not flats catfish are more tolerant than bass of salinity?

7. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    Some recent research using telemetry has challenged the common understanding of the life history of flatheads. Flatheads are often portrayed as sedentary, freshwater restricted fish existing in low density populations. Research in the Southeastern states using telemetry and population estimation techniques has revealed some populations in densities estimated to be 100-400 per stream or river kilometer, movement of up to 30 kilometers in just a few months, and a tolerance for brackish water with salinities of 6 parts per thousand.

PFBC site

My guess is brackish water is were the monsters are, be curious to see if anyone on here has had any luck in brackish stretches...

8. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    No but I know a very nice stretch of river that is brackish that I would love to try for flatheads and I can meet up with some old friends too

9. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    Let's go!