bye bye flatties??

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by drpepper, Oct 26, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Flattie fishin' is coming to a close folks. Snow is predicted tonight and tomarrow, tempratures @ or below below freezing are forecast for the next 4 days... I'd say by the end of next week it'll be all over for the most part... BUT- when I'm certain they're all tucked into a hole and BEFORE they burrow down into the bottom, and go completely dormant, I'm gonna go drop some cutbait on their nose or maybe big live minnows... see what happens. I even have an underwater camera I'm using to study the wintering up. I know this has been done before... but not by me.

I have several places I plan on going for this and as soon as I'm sure they're just starting to winter up - and just after they've all settled into a hole - (but not DUG in yet)
    I'll start the simple, easy way- by finding them with a sonar in my own pond first.
    I'll drop my camera down on them along with some bait... I'll post it up for you all on youtube or something if the Camera works all right.
    Then, I want to go to a gravel pit thats has been stocked by the river with flatties. After that- Monroe and/or the river. Maybe I'll mack a Hollween, Thanksgiving AND Christmas Flattie. :roll_eyes:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    There's always the Santee-Cooper for GREAT blue catfishin' during winter! :wink:

BB in SC

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Believe me... I think that has crossed my mind everyday for a couple moth now! lol!
    The challenge HERE is hookin' flatties in cold water! I'm not talking about snagging them- but getting them to take bait. I'm betting they'll do it just for a short time soon after they hole up.

4. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Doc! Tell me you don't just fish for flatties!
    Tell me it aint so. I know you have blues in your pond. This dose'nt mean you don't fish for other fish does it?

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm more a flathead fan by far.... blues are just too far away to be a speciality lol.
    Channels are fun when you get into a school of them but can be pesky like turtles sometimes when flattie fishing.

6. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    So, Do you eat channels and other fish Doc?
    Wich ones do you like? (Just Curious)

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    No, I just like to reel 'em in and see how big they are.

8. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Well,.... That's certainly what I've thought the thrill of fishing has ever been about! I like to eat fish. However, I'm always anticipating catching the big one! That's been more important than anything to me. I don't want to eat the big one....I just want to catch it!

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like you should drive down to the Ohio and try some of that Cold Weather Blue catfishing. I know that I will be giving it a shot this year. It sounds pretty exciting

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oh yeah, Ohio is definately planned for Dec/Jan with a Member here that lives near Markland.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good luck on your quest, bill,sounds fun.

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    When doc gets into some blues, and can't get the rods out of the rod holders as they try and tear 'em off the boat, he might be a convert! That being said, I prefer to pull flatties too, but blues sure are exciting with their savage hits.
    Bill in SC

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was JUST looking at an Abu reel that is made with a special spool release for that very reason!

14. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    There's a first time for everything.:cool2: