bycatch

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by woodchucker, May 12, 2009.

1. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Was sight fishing for bass on lake mission veijo.Seen this tank cruise out from a doc,pitched my plastic worm on 8lb test and it slurped it up.The fight lasted at least 20 mins.35lbs.And the uglyest fish I have ever caught(sorry bluehunter)flatheads look like supermodels comparerd to these blue slugs.I have seen some clean lookin big blues come from waters back east but all the big ones Ive seen from cali are bug eyed and sluggy lookin.Oh and we seen a blue that day that dwafed this one,was at least twice as big.Looked like baby shamoo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/woodchucker/100_2003.jpg?t=1242148711

Fish was released.

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Nice report and catch Billy:wink:

3. KATFISH J.

KATFISH J. New Member

State:
    CALIFORNIA
    Sweeeet, thats a nice catch........Dang I need to fish bad !!!!!!:crazy:

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good to go on that catch. I heard this lake had some big blues before, I just have not met anybody that lives on the lake so that I can fish it yet. I caught my share of ugly ones too. :smile2:

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Nice to see that you caught that bruser.... It looks as though it may have been a transplant with the "deformed tail", :cool2:

but I haven't caught one that size yet.so don't know what to expect from a pond.....

Quite a catch on that 8 lb line... way to go:wink:

bayrunner Ray

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    That just shows me that "That You Know What Your Doing" + it also lets me know that "It can be done, if you do know what your doing"
    (Getting fish like that on light line)
    "Good Job"!
    :wink:
    :0a23:

7. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Mission Viejo is atually a small lake.Been there for many years,although man made.The fishes tail isent deformed,just folded on its self from the way I was holding it.The tail was full and powerfull,and I would assume this fish lived in this impoundment its whole life.Or from a small stocker size when planted.This is not a pay to play lake like Irvine,santa ana,corona.Although it is a private fishery.
    This was the targeted species of the trip,10lbs.Released per mandatory lake rules,but would have been put back regardless.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/woodchucker/001missionfish.jpg?t=1242232687

8. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I've caught a few cats with plastic worms, but a 35lb bluecat now that's impressive. Great job man, you pimped that.:wink:

9. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    I probabley wouldent have had a chance of landing that fish from shore,also I got lucky that it swam out to deep water not toward the pilings of the docks.After that we just followed it around with the trolling motor till I got it next to the boat.

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    If you look at it anyway, all fisheries out here is play to play in a way. Otay cost 8 dollars to get in now some other public places charge more. Plus its 10 dollars for launching at a lot of these places or 8. So whatever we do out here in these lakes we have to pay, unless you go to the far away places like the river but we way than more make up for it in gas. Its not like the midwest and east where you can just launch away and fish all night for free out here in Cali. Cali has things screwed up in those regards with its fisheries, plus we have to be off the water by sunset unless it is a private lake.

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thats what I like about Mendota Slough. It is FREE. Free to camp, launch and can fish from boat all night:wink: Aint to many places like that here in Cali:confused2: It is 38 miles from me, so I take advantage of it. Other lakes around here charge to get in:angry:

12. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Pay to play =trucked in fish.But I know what you mean by paying to fish,or get to the fish.

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yeah I know. Even the regular lakes here stocks them every now and then from the DFG be it trout or cats. But we pay for it even which way or how with these fee. Its going to continue to rise and rise just like the licenses.

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thats what fishing is suppose to be like. But some places find a way to make money off of anything. But the real reason I believe it is like that here is due to the lack of natural waters. Everything here basically is man made be it public or private lakes. So either a private company or person is running the lake, or the county/city is. For the costs and maintainance of the lake and facilities they charge a fee for that and thats pretty much how it is. Even some of the public places are charging almost or more than some private places when you take in person permits, launching, and some even car fees. In a lot of cases the private/pay lakes are more desirable depending on your situation - drive a distance, or fish locally.