Buzzing up Pike...

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by Mr. Whiskers, May 3, 2006.

1. Mr. Whiskers

Mr. Whiskers New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I see that some of you guys use buzzbaits for Pike. Is there a target water temp before you start picking them up or just right from ice out? I'll be out on a lake this weekend that has a healthy muskie and pike population and it's a realatively shallow lake. I think the deepest point is all of 31 feet or so.

Thanks in advance!

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    When I lived in Colorado and even here In Kansas we target them when the water temps begin to climb or just after ice out. They really get active and those Buzz baits drive them wild. When the carp come shallow in the spring the Pike follow. Now that is some wild action. Good luck.

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Use very large spinner baits and inline spinners/bucktails with tandem trebles. Those awsome fish will hit all year round pretty much.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Buy the way, Chris. What lake will you be at for pike fishing? I will be at Raystown lake next thursday on a guided striper/muskie trip.

5. Mr. Whiskers

Mr. Whiskers New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    We're hitting Lake Arthur, first trip in the new boat. Hopefully they cooperate. :big_smile:

6. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Boy, I looked into some of those guided trip prices and WOW!! Not me, thanks!

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I caught a bunch of them in Maine a few years ago on white 3" Mr. Twisters with spinner blades and on Mepps spinners. They were tearing them up. I was fishing around the edges of Lily Pads and it was non stop action.

8. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I have used buzz baits for pike and had some luck but thats cuz theres not many pike in the lake.

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I was stationed in North Dakota I used cheap bass buzz baits run through or around weed beds. It worked every time I went out, but that was only when the temp was 60+.

10. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

I here there are some mosnter Musky and Pike up in moraine. I have only been there about 10 times and we caught walleye over those old railroad tracks. And the other times we just crappie fished.

Josh

11. Jackfish

Jackfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the only time I ever use buzzbaits or surface lures in general is in the morning before the sun beats down - have had alot of luck doing this, esp with a lure called the BuzzDevil (its Daredevil's version of a buzzbait)

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I had been doing it I had found a deal on really cheap buzzbaits at a local sporting goods store. I bought about 10 of them for $1 each and they lasted quite a while.

13. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Buzzbaits are the lure of choice for me when I am fishing the weed filled pond out behind my house. Its a blast watching the northerns fly out of the water as they smack the buzzbait. If you want to increase your hook up ratio when using a buzzbait you really need to add a trailer hook. The northerns hit it hard then take it under a bit then let them go to come back and swallow them. So you miss alot of fish but it sure is a fun and exciting way to fish.

14. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Thanks for all the info on this post fellas. TA2D and I are heading up to upper Michigan in September. Hopefully I can catch my first pike and salmon.

SudDawg