Buzzard worms

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Boogie68MHS, May 8, 2006.

1. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    Hey guys I lived in Tennessee when I was young, Lebanon, Watertown, Lafayette and several other towns.
    My question is do you know what Buzzard worms are. My brother-in-law used them and we had real good luck with them. I haven't heard of them since (early 60s) and thought someone might know what they are.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    You're not talking about the Catawba worms are you? They are on the trees for a short time and great for fishing from what I have been told.

3. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    No I still get Catalpa (our name) worms in August these where underground and looked like a greenish night crawler. (no joke)

4. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    Never heard of them but they sounds like they'd be great cat bait.

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Were these found in sandy soil, I have heard of "green worms" or "sand worms" around here, never seen any though

Aaron

TA2D

6. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I can't remember, its been about 45 years ago. All I remember is they had a green tint and an obnoxious odor.

7. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I've used grub worms (look like large wax worms) I've used about everything at one time or other.
    My nephew told me yesterday he thought we got the buzzard worms from under dried cow manure, but I can't remember.
    The thought occured that maybe they are simply nightcrawlers that the manure affected with the color and odor.

8. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes, we used to find a green tinted worm under manure around the barn. Dad's name for them wasn't nearly as nice as "Buzzard Worms". They were also plentiful around our neighbors bad septic tank. I remember they broke apart easily, smelled horrible, and really stained your hands.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've used green worms before,they look like green 'redworms' and smell horrible.I used to catch them in the sandy soil by rivers and creeks,not sure if this is what you used but they work really well.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    John, I have a mission for you. If you should accept it, you must dig up some of these worms and post a picture! lol
    I don't think we have them in central Ohio. :big_smile:

11. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    They are excellent channel bait. I've always heard them called stink worms. They are pretty small and skinny, green, and some of the worst smelling things you will ever smell.

You can find them in muddy areas. Real muddy. They are usually just a couple inches into the mud if that. You have to look close, they are very small.

12. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Does not sound like a bait I would care to use too much. But if they will catch cat I all in.

13. Catfish Slayer

Catfish Slayer New Member

State:
    tennessee
    For the person wondering about the grren worms we dig them all the time . We usually dig enough for ourselfs and sell the rest . We get 40-50 dollars a thousand on them but to just let. We live in Dickson County Tn.Next batch we get we will load a picture on here to let ya see.

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sorry netmanjack,I just now saw this post.I'll try and go get some soon and post some pics for you.I've always done good down in Catlettsburg,KY on the banks of the ohio.I need to get some anyway.

15. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    Thanks I will be waiting for the pics.

16. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    hey hey i live in lebanon so im sure you know where hartsville is and carthage and so on i find buzzard worms and use them right now is a good area i found som last under the rome brige the ones im geting are about 4 inches long and very very nasty nice to here from sombody the used to live here lol