Buzz bait strategy

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by lightningmetal10, Apr 25, 2006.

1. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    Does anyone have any strategy suggestions for bass buzzbaits? I have hadn o luck on one yet... kinda angry too cause i'd love to see the ass explode on one! Thnx in advance!
    Joe

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I make my own buzz baits and your right it is exciting to see a bass just engulf a bait and then rip the water up. It most likely is that you aren't doing anything wrong it may be more the water your fishing and/or the time of day. I will just make general statements and you can refine them to where you fish or give me more information and I'll see if I can help. First, unless your in a super warm climate it's too early for a buzz baits, in my opinion. Water needs to be more in the 65 to 70+ degree range and then keep it shallow if at all possible, 3 feet is the max unless your in a lake that is a deep lake and then 10 to 15 feet will work as that's what the bass are used to. I'm on Lake of the Ozark, a deep lake and I have to hunt for shallow water but it pays off when you get into the bass. The other thing is look for cover, docks, weeds and the likes will be a bass magnet and you need to work them hard. Several casts to the same place will finally upset a bass enough to hit out of being PO'd and not out of hunger. I also like only early morning and late evenings and a cloudy day is even better. Try different speeds, retrieves and pauses, it does make a difference. One thing I've been playing with is tie a line on the hook of your buzz bait and then drag another smaller buzz bait behind it about 3 feet, like ones chasing the other. Hard to cast and I haven't refined it yet but I have had a couple doubles and that will make you shake in your boots.
    I'm thinking my leader needs to be a little shorter and made out of much heavier line (like 50 t 60 lb) so that it doesn't tend to flop around when I cast it out. Don't give up, when you figure out what they want it will all come together for you and you'll be glad you stuck with it. I also look for the darkest water on the lake I can find. Shade on the water of any type just signals me to cast in there and come at it from several different directions if I don't get a hit the first cast. Don't buy cheap buzz baits. You'll see the el-cheapos and you'll tell yourself they will work but just to give yourself a baseline buy a top of the line buzz bait in two colors (dark and light) and then fish them side by side to the cheap ones and you should see a difference in how they perform. There is a reason they cost more and it isn't just to take money from you. I'm also working on an in-line buzz bait that will allow me to stop it and just let it set on top of the water and then let me take off again right on the surface. Good Luck!

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Buzz baits seem to work in low light conditions around here, early morning or late evening. Try ripping the bait on the first cast, then on the second cast retrieve it a normal speed. During the spawn do this techniqe, it angers the bass and they will strike at it to chase it off more so than eat it. I have had bass swim by my bait several times very quickly before hitting it. Keep in mind that with buzzbaits different retrieve speeds will generate different sounds to the fish. I prefer the black jitter bug to the buzzbait.

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    fallow all of Bills"beehecks" advice and you will get a fish on

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i would add that a buzz bait is a good nighttime bait. i do a lot of night time bass fishing every thing i throw at night is Black.

6. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    the only time i ever fish for bass anymore is at night and a black 3/8 buzz bait is my #1 choice..like said in other post,low light conditions are the best time to throw a buzz bait.
    one trick i do to all of my buzz baits after taking them out of the package is to rub the blade up and down the arm wire to get a good squeek,rub it a bucnh of time and blow on the blade and continue until ya get a nice high pitched squeek..............the bass seem to really like the squeekin buzz bait ;)....oh and dont forget the trailer hook,id say 70% of the bass i catch on a buzz is only hooked by the trailer. if i was only allowed 2 top water bass lures #1 would be a buzz bait and #2 would be a Ozark wood chopper.

7. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Buy yourself some black Booger Man buzz baits. Black skirt. Tie them to your mirrors on your truck and drive to your fishing hole. This breaks them in and gives good sounds. Adjust the blades to just tick the arm.
    Fish around logs and stumps early in the morning.
    Early spring, I like a 1/4 oz buzzer. When the shad get larger go to a 3/8 or 1/2 oz buzzer.
    Keep a rod handy, rigged with a split shot weight and a zoom worm. Toss the worm in where you get any missed strikes.

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey

9. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    Thanks for the advise guys.... still no luck with them tho... maybe the buzzbaits arnt good or sumthin they hould be tho they all came from basspro shops and are reliable brands... Maybe its not the time of year to fish em i dunno Ill continue to try em but i seem to be having a lot morel uck with bottom plastic worm/lizard fishing lately.... oh well ill keep tryin it hopefully ill nail the big one on a buzzz soon!
    Joe