Buying weights, hooks, etc. in bulk?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 2, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Each year I go to bass pro and buy all my equipment weights, hooks and swivels, etc. for the year or for a certain amout of time. Is it more exspensive to buy these items in bulk on line or would it not make much differance. Also I was thinking about buying one of the lead melting units at Bass Pro, the laddle that plugs in is under 50.00 the bigger melting unit is around 75.00 thought about getting one just didn't know if it was worth getting one. I live in an apartment at the time being so I'm kind of limited on what I can do however I do have a colman stove would these work with lets say a small cast iron skillet from Bass Pro in melting lead, I have aprox. 40-50 pounds of lead that I have found in the last year that I can melt.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Our sponser catfish connection beats the prices of bass pro on bulk sinkers and hooks..check them out.

www.catfishconnection.com

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Harvard2003, you may want to invest some time scanning e-bay. They sell the production pots there anywhere from 35.00 to 65.00 dollars, these are the full size pots with the pouring spouts. You can also get the electric pot you were talking about if your so inclined. Molds for all types of sinkers are sold at a price of $5.00 to $15.00 and you would normally spend $28.00 to $38.00 for these molds new. Lead can also be found anywhere from .25 per pound to 1.00 per pound. At lease check it out, you can always buy new if that's your inclination.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Check out ebay for you hooks and swivels. I buy lots of 500 to 1000 hooks at a time I just picked up 850 2/0 mustad treble hooks for 15.00 shipping and all you can find great deals if you just check around. Sinkers are easy to make you and buy a mold and make your own as needed.

5. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i would check ebay for sure !!! i just bought a lot of 10 big slip bobbers for 6 bucks and saves me $6 .25 if i would have went to wally world and bought the same thing....there are deals BUT , keep an eye on shipping and handling..sometimes it's too high to make a good deal....:cool:

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    We use a fish cooker and a small cast iron skillet to make weights. You can pay for your molds in the first couple of skillets. We made 15 lbs of egg sinkers in 2 hours reciently. That is with 2 people and two molds.

Above all else, be careful and read up on the lead melting. there are posts here if you look in the library.

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    It's worth investing in the sinker molds and such. But please do it outside. I live in an apartment and melt my sinkers on the porch, neighbors love to watch and donate lead and I make them and split the sinkers with them.