Buying ugly tomato plants

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Kutter, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Only the diehard gardeners plant tomato seeds. The rest of us must make our annual pilgrimage to the nurseries and pick up tomato plants. We sort through all the rows of plants, looking for that perfect 6 pack of them. We must get there early, before they all get picked through and there is nothing left but tall scraggly ugly ones left. Big mistake!
    Forget those lush green perfect plants, your better off without them. And for pity sakes, NEVER buy the plants that already have tomatos on them. Buy those tall ugly ones nobody else wants. You might even talk the sellers into letting you have them cheaper. When you go to plant them, dig the hole deep enough to plant the whole plant, with only the top 4 inches above ground. Tomatos are one of the few plants out there that cannot be girdled by burying them up the stem. At every underground junction of a leaf or limb, roots will form. Once planted, nobody can tell that you didn't buy those perfect ones. Even better, yours will have a definite advantage over the rest. Your plants now will have a very deep thick root system at the same time those others are just starting out to develop roots. Once dry weather hits, and it always does, your plants will have the advantage of those deep roots to help them find water.

2. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I'll try it Kutter

3. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Tom I do exactly that. I'm always late getting my garden started and have to end up w/ the ugly plants. I plant them extra deep and always have a good harvest.

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I suggest you lay em down and dig a trench to plant them. They will root shallower and more of your fertilizer hits em quicker. I do this with all my maters and peppers. I had a jalepeno that was over 4' tall and nearly 2" thick at the base. I couldnt give all the stuff away. I fert ever 10 days with a blooming fert usually 10-50-4 or something similiar. I had on mater and one pepper in a tiny garden that I gave buckets full away from.

Enjoy the fruit/vegetables of your labor

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with kspor on the trench bit... I always plant my tomatoes that way. Last year I tried a couple of homemade earthboxes, and they still worked out great.

If you are smart enough to know that you're not smart enough to be an Engineer, then you're in Business.

6. OBXterraSC

OBXterraSC New Member

State:
    NC (Fort Sill, OK right now)
    I've always buried the bottom half horizontally also. never thought to use a trench for it though, just dug a bunch o' holes.

7. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana

8. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    gargoil77....4 ft tall pepper plant?! Awesome! I had 2 plants last year--only got a couple of feet tall, but they produced like crazy! I can't imagine a pepper "tree". (You sure you're not feeding it small animals?Ha!):p

9. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    Try digging a trench and laying them down also. Leave about 4-5 inches out of the ground. Some of the large truck farms plant thier stock this way. works Great.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    too late for mine. lol

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive got 6 left to plant. ill try that with a few to see the difference. thanks.:wink:

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    planted the 6 temaining roma plants deep er than norm and at 45 angle. come on salsa.:big_smile:

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have a mater plant from seed that I was gonna toss. Ill try it that way and post the outcome. Thanks for the info.