Buying new rods, need advice.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Wabash River Bear, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey fellas,
    I'm going to get a couple new rods next week. I have narrowed it down to two in my price range. I have to mail order them because nobody near me carries them. Thats where you come in. I need some real world use advice, opinions from you that have actually handled and fished with these rods. Info about the reel seats, eyes & inserts, tips and handles, stuff I cant tell from the website pics. Both of these rods got 5 star reviews on BassPro.
    Rod # 1, Basspro's CatMaxx spinning rod, model # CMX80MHS
    8', M/H, 10 to 25 # line, 1 to 4 oz. lure
    Rod # 2, Ugly Stick Tiger spinning rod, model # BWS2201
    7', M, 20 to 50 # line, 3/4 to 6 oz. lure
    Both are within $5.00 of each other, the CatMaxx being the more expensive of the two.
    Which ever one I choose will have CatMaxx series 80 spinning reels mounted on them, strung with 30 to 40 # mono.
    I mainly fish moderate current, medium size rivers (Wabash,White) but plan on an occasional big river trip (Ohio, Mississippi).
    I am mainly fishing for big Blues & Flatties.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Feeding Frenzy

Feeding Frenzy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've asked a question about Meat Hunter Rod's on Oklahoma talk,
    and have gotten a lot of replies mostly good check it out may be of some
    help.
    Good Luck!:cool2:

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I have the same catmaxx set up u discribe, the thing is awsome. Could reel in a shark. I was even more impressed with how smooth the reel was for its size, it is as smooth as a 12 ball bearing shimano.......GET THE CATMAXX YOU WILL ENJOY!!

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i use baitcast rods so i dont know about spinning but when i looked at the catmaxx the eyes looked a little on the cheep side i have the tigers (in cast) they have better parts i think. but if you wait the catmaxxs might go on sale again they went on sale last year i think it was and they were about half price.

5. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have two CatMaxx baitcaster and love them, I have bought in a 42 pound blue in the Mississippi River current and there was no problem at all.

6. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I have some catmaxx rods casting and spinning, mine are the old style they came out a new style last year. I have fished all over with mine and they have held up well no complaints. I have also used Tigers when I was out with a guide on occasion and they are well made rods. Two weeks ago bass pro had the old style on sale for 29.00, I don't know if they have any left. So you might want to check back with them under clearance.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Stay within your means and get a rod that is suitable for the type of fishin ya do the most.