Buying my first Boat ????????

Discussion in 'Boating' started by ramon06, Jul 29, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Just a few questions and opinions on a boat purchase I am considering. I have the opportunity to buy a 21ft 2001 Seafox center console for $11,500 O.B.O with 115 HP envinrude with depth finder, radio, bimini top, etc here in Virginia or 2 choices in Texas: (1) 97 Monark 22ft Pontoon with force motor for $8000 O.B.O or a 94 18ft Parti-Kraft Pontoon with 2000/2001 4 stroke 70HP evinrude, seats 10 comfortably with plenty of extra room. This boat is equipped with a fish finder, a depth finder, removable face CD player, tanning deck w/ storage, solar powered battery charger, and pre-wired battery charger for when not in use. comes with trailer & transom saver. Now I primarily Catfish every weekend and occassionally do some bass fishing but I have friends with boats for that. This is my first boat and my goal is to have a boat that is comfortable for long hours of fishing, plenty of room, reliable and safe(meaning I can take it on big rivers and large resevoirs and it be able to handle the water with no worries or minimal in very choppy waters, white caps, etc) I am not after speed as I hate fast boats with their wake and the disrespect towards bank fisherman as well as fisherman anchored down trying to enjoy themselves. I just want reliability, safety and comfort mostly. Please help me out guys, I'd hate to buy the wrong boat and regret it, although at this point being a bank fisherman any boat would be great.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    stay away for sea fox boats they have a terrible reputation around here for being junk. very cheaply made and poor quality.

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Ramon welcome to the BOC! Whatever boat you decide to buy I hope you enjoy an catch some big fish!

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Catman, :big_smile: I sure plan to enjoy whichever one I get. And thanks Brownie for the info on the Sea Fox. Never knew much about them, i just see all the Game Warden's on the James and Appomatox river's driving the boats that look exactly like it, so i figured it would be reliable and safe if they were using them :sad2:

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    they only use them cause there cheap LOL:crazy:

6. brownie

brownie New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    I have a deep V Tracker 16', which I enjoy, but if I had it to do over again I'd buy a pontoon boat. They're very stable on the lakes and handle rivers just fine in my part of the country. Good luck on your purchase and I hope you have many hours of enjoyment with your boat.

7. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

All I have is a 15ft Jon boat, and I definitely need a pontoon boat..More stable out there on those rough waters..

8. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Do yourself a favor and check out Triumph boats. They are made of Roplene (a very sturdy plastic) and actually flex when hitting waves to dampen the shock. They are very low maintenance (no waxing) and are 4 times more impact resistant than fiberglass. And, most importantly, the catfish slime, shad guts, blood, etc. comes right off the flooring with just a garden hose.

Most people who buy them don't want to get rid of them so you may have to search a little to find it but you won't be disappointed.

Good luck with your search for the perfect Catfish Catcher.