Buying first boat this week

Discussion in 'Boating' started by tritech, Apr 12, 2007.

1. tritech

tritech New Member

State:
    NC
    looking to get rid of my land legs this week and splurge on a boat.

Originally i was looking for a bass boat, but i can't justify 20k for something that my significant other and i can't be comfortable on all day long. We checked out pontoons and love the space (she needs a place to lay out on while not fishing).

ultimately i think the best fit is a deck boat, specifically the suntracker fishin deck or a triton 201f.

never owned a boat and just debating on an I/O or outboard motor. which would you guys prefer and why? what about maintenance?

2. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I've never maintained an IO, so I can't speak on that. But I am very stingy with the space inside my boat. No matter how big it is, it gets smaller when that's all you've got to sit, stand, store gear etc. in. So for me, having the motor hang off the back instead of in the way is a huge selling point for me to buy an outboard. Just my personal preference though.

Jon

3. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hello and Welcome. Take you time and do not get in a hurry. The I/O takes up a lot of room. I like the outboard better myself, not many of them here in Fl. Out of 100's of Deck boats here Ive seen only 1 I/O. I know you will enjoy which ever one you get.
    Walter

4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I'm partial to outboards also. More room and I think they are easier to work on and maintain.

5. catfishman38663

catfishman38663 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    welcome and congrats on the boat i think you would like outboard better easy to maintain and not as much room to take up good good luck on what ever you get

6. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    congrats on the upcomin purchase, i like the io becuase since its a modified car engine the parts are more recognizable to me and its easier to work on

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    How does a IO take up space isnt it usually under something? I was thinking the same thing from working on it tho, it just a basic 4/6/8 cylinder isnt it?

As you can tell I dont have a boat yet but will be looking in a couple of years and we are thinking of a Pontoon.

8. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've owned them all. And I've busted them all. My opinion is for Outboards for the simple reason of the rear outdrive and seals. Nothing ruins your weekend than hitting something in the lake... AND YOU WILL if you own it for any length of time. Here is my lesson learned the hard way about outdrives. 19' Runabout ski boat with a 5.7liter OMC cobraII outdrive and hit a log. busted the rear seal which almost sank the boat. Ok, shop visit number one covered by insurance.. the rear seals replaces... some work on the transom done. What wasn't done was checking of the gears for nicks due to the hit. the following year, lost the lower unit gears... following year after that, lost the gears from the main drive shaft down to the lower unit which also crack the outdrive's casing. The thousands of dollars in repair cost over the years were big and the time off the water the same.

Yes some say its easy to maintain because its a car engine.. but with an I/O you have winter maintenance so the water in the block doesn't freeze, you have oil to change which takes a special pump suck it up and out. You have oil filters that might be hard to get to. Usually there is a water separator filter for the fuel line that can be hard to replace on some boats. This is all if you do it yourself and not take it into your local boat shop. (for all use gas stabil for winter non use, make sure it gets in the carbs and/or disconnect the fuel and run the engine dry. Don't let your carbs get gummed/junked up. I think boat shops do more carb cleaning jobs than anything.)

Outboards or just easier to maintain and work on... you don't have to be slumped over going head first into an area you weren't meant to fit. Outboards you just stand next to, everything is relatively easy to get to. But the biggest is I haven't had anywhere close to the number of issues I've had with I/O setups. Plus a boat just looks better with one, LOL. Again this just my 2.5 cents on the discussion.

9. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    My last boat was a 19' Lowe deck boat. Very handy for fishing and the room for fun with the family was great. I would also go with the outboard on a deck boat. Especially if you run the rivers. You have less weight than an I/O and when you get caught in all that crap floating down the river you can just trim the motor up and your done.
    Good luck you'll love it.

10. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Have had both styles of boats, and must say that the advice you are getting is sound, for my money an outboard is the way to go, way less parts to go bad and the through hull seals are a constant source of problems at least in the older boats get a good outboard service manual and you will find that with a little mechanical apptitude you can accomplish most of the routine tasks to care for an outboard that's just my .02 worth hope it helps and hope you get one that really works for what you need it to do. :cool2: