Buying Cast Net

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by Gordhawk, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've never had a cast net before,and was wondering what the most popular size is,and of what material? Thank You in advance.
    Merry Christmas,
    Glenn

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    merry christmas glenn , i get my castnets at dick's sporting goods for $27.95 its a 5' diameter monofilament net it sinks fast but is heavy on the arms after a few throws . most people use the 3' nets i think

3. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    i would start out with either a 3 1/2 or 4 ft net its easier to learn with. practice in the yard a little and then go to water you won't do as well in water but it won't take long to get better . lol boliver

4. 2hawks

2hawks New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a 10 footer when the schools are thin it sure makes a difference. Although throwing it and learning to throw it are quite time consuming. If I could find a bigger one I would buy it.

5. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I use a 3.5 foot net made of mono. I don't like the nylon nets. As others have said start with a smaller net. They are easier to throw. There are different ways to throw a net just practice in your yard until you find a way that is best for you.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I've got a brand new Lee Fisher 12 ft radius net, 5/8" mesh with 1.5 lbs of lead per foot but I'm not man enough to throw it more than once or twice a day... If you want it, send me a PM and I'll let you know the price...

As far as learning, my experience has been that a bigger net is a lot easier to throw than a small net. I can't do squat with a 4 ft radius net, but I can toss my 8 and 9 ft radius nets with no problem. I'd suggest a 5 or 6 ft radius net to start out with.

You should also check your state regulations to be sure there's no restriction on net size -- some states have ridiculous limits of 3 or 4 ft radius, others have no restrictions.

7. DryHole

DryHole New Member

State:
    Katy Texas
    I have a 5' Mono that I picked up from Bass Pro.
    It works well but for some reason I get a blister on my right middle finger!

Strainge I know.. LOL

I enjoy throwing a Cast Net last week we picked up a few Bass,Channel Cats and a Gar..

Lots of Brem..A few rather large Shad...Oh and a stinking Red Ear:crazy: ...

8. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Before buying a cast net make sure what your state allows. Most states limit cast nets to 5 foot.

Jesse

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Most coastal states allow larger castnets. It Texas, its up to 12 ft. But a 3 1/2 or 4 footer is good to start. I've used one that size for nearly a year and it does the job for me.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Iowa looks to be 10 ft limit.

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Wally World carries a cheap 3' mono net. Its good for beginning, but not very durable if you hit a snag.

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Gordhawk

Opinion and repeating what I've learned (from Doc's post).

I'm 54 and sore all over. The most I want to cast is a 6' or a 5' mono net. IF u can find a 1/2" mesh vs a 3/8" mesh the 1/2" will sink faster vs without adding more weight so u can get more bait.

I need to carry 2 nets all the time. When I did get my first 6' 1/2" mesh I lost it the very first cast and I had someone with me that I was showing the "HOW TO DO IT" thing!! LOL, he hee

:too_sad:

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I full heartely endorse Jesse's post. Each state is different, and although two states may have the same laws, it is an accident. Not only do they regulate the size (diameter) of a net, they regulate the mesh of the net. All said and done, I find the nets at wal-marts meet my requirements. I'm not one to buy and expensive net and wrap it aroung a tree stump - which I have done. I'd say to start small and work your way up. Usually a net will last one season. LOL It don't take long to get up to the large sizes that way. Another thing you need to be aware of is that most states will allow you to use game fish for bait, as long as it was caught in a legal manner. Cast nets and seines do not always equate to a legal manner-actually they seldom do. But again, each state is different. You gotta know your state regs.

14. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    you probably have all the info you need.

From personal experience, i will not purchase another nylon net..no matter the size. Mono all the way! :cool2:

good luck! :smile2:

robert

15. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    get a 3' net, i bought a 5' net, very hard to learn with because its so big. (im still having trouble)

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Many of the places I catch shad are snag infested...my cast nets are, of necessity, disposable items, so I buy small and cheap.

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I get mine from Wal- Mart thier cheap, pretty easy to throw and will get bait just as well as the others. If it gets tore up your not out that much.$17-19 bucks.Least thats what they were this past summer. practice,pactrice and more practice. If you can get someone to show you how like I did makes for easier learning. You can save a lot of money by getting your own bait. Good luck.

18. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    FITEC makes one that has an aluminum ring at the top - REAL easy to learn to throw. Avalable at Cabelas and Bass Pro.

19. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks to everyone for your input on the cast nets. I bought a 3' Betts mono cast net the other day. Seemed to me like a lot of you suggested starting with a small net. A good friend of mine,who I met here on the BOC came down the other day with his 5' net to teach me how to throw one. I kinda wish now that I would have bought a larger net,as I really didn't have any trouble with his 5' net. Don't get me wrong,I still need lots of practice,but I believe I can handle the larger net.
    Again,thanks to everyone who offered their opinion on this subject.
    Glenn