Buying Boat without Motor

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Captain Kilowatt, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Hey Gang. I've got a chance to buy a McKee Classic 14' with a trailer but no motor. I've been looking for a motor but can't seem to find one. It appears I'm not alone. I guess I could buy a new motor and then a trolling motor etc but then I'd have over $6000.00 in it easy (want a 50HP ... it's rated for a 65). I guess my question I keep asking myself is I see complete rigs in the paper ready to go for less than this. I really like this McKee craft boat. Even though it's only 14' it's unsinkable and stable as a rock because of it's weight. I've ran this over and over in my head and can't decide. Either that or the right rig hasn't become for sale yet and let me see it lol. If I can get the picture to post I will. I was wondering if most of you went the new route, the used route, or the piece by piece route lol. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    That's a pretty tiny boat for a 50hp motor. I'd say 20hp ought to be plenty. 50hp will scare the daylights out of you.

When you buy a used boat, you're mostly paying for the engine and maybe a few of the accessories; the boat comes along as a free bonus.

I wouldn't buy a boat without a motor unless I already had a good motor onhand or if I was dead set on putting a brand new motor on it.

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Marty is correct and even more so with a boat like that. I faced the problem when I bought my boat. if you buy everything new and a piece at a time you will pay more, however most packages have a small motor my 18 1/2 was equiped with a 50 but by holding out I got the boat with a 90.

A 50 is way to much motor for that little boat. If you are going to fish rivers think 16 and wider as the minimum. A boat has a way of getting small real quick when you start using it.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I would have to agree a 50 would be a bit much on that and a lot of overkill. I would say a 25 tops.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I agree with everybody. Buying a boat without a motor is just too much work and money. I would also say a 50 is too large. I would go with a 20-25 horse tiller motor to save room in the boat. and buying everything for a motor can get expensive quick. Think u still need motor, all linkage, batteries, anchors, rod holders, etc. it can really run up quick

6. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I appreciate the advise guys. I've been thinking all that same stuff myself except the HP. It is rated for 65HP with 50HP being the recommended. 25HP is the minimum. Only problem with buying used is may get someone elses problems motor wise and end up needing to buy a new motor anyway. Thanks again for the answers as I'll run it all in my head a couple more hundred times lol.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The boats weight should be able to handle the 50 just fine as for a new motor I think I would ask the dealer for pull off motors are new motors that people had taken off and up graded to a larger motor. You never know you might find a killer deal. good luck

8. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That is a very interesting boat design.
    http://www.mckeecraft.com/boats/classic14.htm
    I was pretty suprised to see the motor rating for this model at a max of 65HP, but that is very heavy(665lbs) for an empty 14' boat. My call would be to price the boat, trailer, motor package new. Then determine what it will cost for just the motor(new) combined with the cost of the used boat and trailer you found.
    I'd look in your local area for a shop the specializes in service for outboards, as they will commonly have used outboards for sale that have generally been overhauled and are warranteed.

9. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You might check out Albert's site at: AFA Marine, if you don't pull it up there try smalloutboardmotors.com. He sells used mercury fish camp motors that come with a warranty, he also sells new. They have about any size you are looking for most of the time. I bought a 1980 model 20 horse model from him last year, and found it to be exactly like he advertised. Starts, and runs good!! I put it on a 15ft War Eagle with 20"sides. Good luck, Jack.

10. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    I say if you really like that type of boat buy it. I agree that the money is in the engine, but sometimes it is hard to find "the right combo."Im actually considering that right now. I have ran across several engines in the paper and at some of the local repair shops. I ran across a 50hp Johnson rebuilt for $1600 and has warranty from the builder. A buddy of mine bought a brand new saltwater 10 hp merc at the surplus equipment auction for $650. The boat Im looking at thursday has a bad 70 hp that the repair shop tested and said would rebuild and warrent for about $1300. This is a 17ft deep v that Im going to build for the river.

Craig

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    IF thats the boat you want you will not be happy with any thing else I would go with the best motor i could afford:lol:

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    First, I bought an 18 foot 1979 McKee Craft center console earlier this year and it is a good boat. So you can feel safe there.

Buying a new motor is never a totally bad deal. You will get a warranty, it will run good out of the box, and you should not have to worry about too many problems for a long time. You are gonna pay more, but the motor is usually the biggest issue in buying a used boat. A new one will give you the peace of mind when you are on the water.

A used motor is a different story. It can hide all kinds of evils or it can run like a new one. Unless you are a good boat mechanic you will never know, and even a good mechanic may not be able to foresee some problems that can just happen due to age. If you do buy a used motor, I suggest putting aside some cash for little things here and there, because there is nothing worse than having a boat and not being able to use it because the motor will not run!

Personally, if you like the boat and have the money for a new motor, then buy one. Don't worry that you are paying more, because the peace of mind out there on the water will be worth it.

13. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
  14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Ok to those guys a 50 is too high for that boat... Have you fished any tournies where you had to run 10 miles up to your spot? The boat is rated for 65... therefore the company does not think that 50 is to high... It would take say 10-20 minutes to get to a spot with a 25 HP motor on the back while with a 50 you can get there in 5 -10 minutes which means 5-10 minutes more fishing... I don't know about you guys, i love taking my time getting to a spot and all but you can only catch fish when you have wet lines and bait...

I'd say go for as large as you can afford and all...

There are a couple of places you can check for "cheap"... my favorite being Craigslist dot com... you can choose your state and closest city and see what you come up with... some are slow with posting others you can have 10 motors (just motors) posted along with the other 30+ boats with motors, trailers, etc....

15. waynebo

waynebo New Member

State:
    p'cola florida
    mckee's are bay type boats,much heavier than a 14' river boat,,at least a 50 h.p would do,,wayne p.s look on ebay under boat parts and find a good used motor

16. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    My concern with the boat being so heavy is if your going to be river fishing that boat (may) ride low in the water, the bigger the motor the more weight and the lower in the water you'll ride. If you're fishing in the lakes you may not have a problem. New or used a boat/motor is gonna cost you money but much less likely with a new motor. Stick with your budget and get the most you can....

17. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    I know you really like that boat but I can not tell you it is worth it to buy it without the motor and invest that much money into it. Good luck with your decision but I would say buy a complete rig or somehting that needs only a little work, but not one without an engine. That is usually what you pay for in a used boat.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Guess it makes a difference as to what part of the world you live in... a marine service center in OKC wanted $2,300.00 to rebuild a 70 HP Evinrude. I thought that was reasonable, but what do I know. I have a 15' boat with a 50 HP Johnson. Finally (with Bubbakat and BobPaul's help) got the thing running like a red nose in February. I mean that thing flat gets it up. It is rated for up to a max of 80 HP.

You may also check ebay. They sale quite a few outboards on there -some from your area. I believe if you shop wisely and keep your emotions under control, ebay is a good service. If you can't stand a challenge, I would not use ebay. At times it is hard to stop bidding.

I would not hesitate to put a 50 on the boat you were referrring to. I don't think you would be happy with a smaller motor, especially when I read your posts. so, I'd say to go for it... if your not happy you can always sale the boat, even if you take a small loss.