Buying Bluegill ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by smells like old liver!, Feb 21, 2006.

1. smells like old liver!

smells like old liver! New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hello, brothers! has anyone bought bluegills from bait venders and had anyluck keeping them alive and growing them to size in a tank? I seen where I could buy 2 -3" gills. what are the best sizes for flats? and anyone used a fishtrap in farm ponds? thanks guys

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Most states its illegal to sell any bluegills, the fine is pretty steep for this action, I am pretty sure 90% of the states do not allow it.

There is certain license to that fish raising people can get to sell gills, but you would need nice 8-10 inch gills for big flatheads, and If I remember right that size gill costs some bucks. I would just do as the rest of us do get your self a 50 to 200 gallon tank and put a pump in it and go catch gills and stock them in your tank when your ready to go fishing, go out and fill your cooler up with fresh gills.

3. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I updated my post, there is several license out there for fish raising people to bait selling poople, if they have a bait license and this is the one most bait stores have does not cover Bluegills. but you will see once you get up over 3 inch gills its cost is not even right.

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    I really cant help you with info on where to buy bluegills, but I dont see why it would be any different from buying bass or crappie or catfish for stocking. Try doing a google search for fish stocking, or fish hatcherys.

5. smells like old liver!

smells like old liver! New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just got off the phone with my supplier he said that he can get gill up to 6" for about .65 ea. he sells live fish to farm supply houses and says anyone can buy for gills.

6. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    You can buy bluegills off of fish trucks. I f you look in your county paper most of the time they will advertise where there going to be. I don't know how much trouble it will worth trying to raise bluegill in a tank. Some where there is a thread on building a bluegill trap that would probably save you some time any money trying to raise bluegills...

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    wow! they be expensive! did a google search and first hatchery i found has 5-7 inch hybrid bluegill for sale for $150 per 100 fish, which is probably even cheaper than what any bait vendor would sell them for. shoot i can catch that many easy with a cane pole in just a few hours for only the cost of a few worms,lol in the spring n summer that is.

8. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Guys two years ago, I built a bait tank that cost me $175.00 for the total costs thats pump and gravel and a 175 gallon tank. I went to the local lake and caught over 150 gills at the cost of maybe 4.00 for the worms, I kept them until I ran out of gills and kept re-stocking my tank, all summer long.

I felt if I had to go buy them for the amount of gills we went thru would of been way over 600.00 just for the gills and then you would still need a tank to keep them in unless your putting them in the pond you built for $10.000.00 just to keep bait ..lmao

Just a suggestion, its easyer to go out and take a couple of kids with you and let them have a blast catching you bait. JMO

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    DH, That is what I do. My son wants money, I have him go to the creek with his friends and they fill up my bait tank so I will have freah bait for that weekend of fishing.

10. 1fishhead

1fishhead New Member

State:
    ky
    i agree big time . the kids will have a blast and will remember later in life when you took them

11. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    There isn't a way to grow them. Bluegill would need alot of water. 100 bluegill would need a tank of at least 1500 gallons, at a minimum. If not they will stunt and die. You can keep them for several weeks/months to use as bait as DH said, but they will not grow, at least not much.

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I just use a bait trap or a rod n reel. The bait traps will catch somewhere around 20 nice pond perch all the time. Cut gills and live gills are good bait for blues and yellows.