Buying A Vehicle

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by WOOD18, Sep 22, 2006.

1. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    My Wife An I Recently Bought A 2003 Toyota Tundra Limited Access Cab From An Individual. We Questioned The Man Why He Was Getting Rid Of The Vehicle At Such A Low Price And He Told Us That He Was Getting A Divorce And Wanted To Get Rid Of It Before He Had To Make Another Payment. We Talked It Over With Our Banker And Our Banke Talked To The Seller's Banker And Came To An Agreement To Buy The Pickup. Our Banker Gave Us A Check To Give To The Seller And Told Us That He Was Getting The Title. We Gave The Seller The Check And Took Possession Of The Pickup. Our Banker Called Us And Said That The Title Got Sent Somewhere Else And We Should Get It In A Couple Of Days. About A Week Went By And Our Banker Called Us And Asked If We Knew That It Had A Rebuilt Title. Qwe Had No Idea And Even Told Our Banker That The Seller Told Us That There Had Never Been Anything Wrong With The Pickup. We Are Pissed Off And Trying To Get Some Of Our Money Back In A Law Suite. I Don't Believe In Suing People But I Don't Believe In People Screwing Others.
    Just Wanted People To Be Aware That There Are Crooked People Out There That Will Take Advantage Of You.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I feel your pain. There is a phrase that goes with used cars which say "La Caveat Emptor" or Let the Buyer beware. You may have a decent suit depending on location and the judge (some times any suit can go haywire)
    You asked the seller why he was getting rid of it, and it seems that his statements just after that including the fact that he failed to tell you about the salvage title and/or previous damage to the vehicle, would constitute fraud (I am not a lawyer please do not accept this as legal advise).

That said, even if/when you win, how are you going to collect? One bank paid off another bank. The paid off bank is not going to ressurect the old loan, so you are going to have to get the monetary award from the buyer himself. Hopefully he has assets that you can place a lien on, or a good job where you can garnish.

Folks, you can say what you want about used car dealers but for the MOST part, we are hard working guys, just like you (OK maybe we're also nuts). If you had gone to a reputable dealer you would have gotten a free Carfax vehicle history report, and in most states a dealer MUST disclose in writing if a vehicle has a branded title.

Good Luck

Shawn
    www.coshoctoncars.com

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I hope you win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bill

4. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    I am sorry that you feel that you got taken in that deal.

"We Questioned The Man Why He Was Getting Rid Of The Vehicle At Such A Low Price...." Just further proof that if something sounds too good to be true it probably is.

There is also the possibility, a very remote possibility, that the seller did not himself know that the vehicle had been salvaged.

I am surprised that your banker did not recognize that the price was too low and require that you get a Carfax vehicle report before approving your loan.

Even if you fail in your attempt to get part of your money back I hope that you get many miles of useful service from your truck. Then it will at least be a lesson learned without too much hurt.

5. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    No The Guy Knew That It Had A Rebuilt Title And When We Confronted Him About It After The Fact He Hung Up When We Suggested That We Need To Come Up With A Solution.