Buying a used boat.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Bigdan99, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I found a 14 foot fiberglass boat, I believe it was called a skylark, it has a old 33 horse Johnson motor, a trolling motor, and it comes with a trailer. He was asking 500 dollars is this to much to pay?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it water ready yes if it hasn't been run in a long time the I would have to say no. Do you have any idea what year the motor is.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You could almost part it out for your investment, if you had time to hold on to it... think props themselves are a pretty good dollar. On e-bay I priced some for about $75.00 for my 71 50 HP Johnson. Then you have the coils, powerheads, etc.

4. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    seems like a decent deal to me but i don't know that much about boats.

5. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    I agree with awshucks, if boat is seaworthy so to speak and motor runs decent sounds like a good investment guess it really comes down to do you have 500.00 and do you need a new boat if ya do might be a good deal, just make sure to take someone knowledgeable with you if possible to check out the motor and put it on the water if ya can to check for leaks just my .02 worth hope it helps.:smile2:

6. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm not sure what year the motor is but i'm going to go and see it the motor will start and see if it would run. I probably won't really know if the boat has a hole or not until I get it home. I got a lake in back that I want to set it in and see how it does. It hasn't been rand for about 2 1/2 years or so. As soon as he finds the key i'm going to go and find out.

7. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    When buying used boats, especially fiberglass boats, check the transom closely for wood rot. If the transom wood is soft and rotten, run away from it unless you are handy at repairing such things.

Transom rotted out
    Hull leaks
    water in lower unit

Three things that will cost $$ to repair, not to mention many other potential problems.

hope this helps,
    Phil

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Running a motor on a water hose and earmuffs isn't anything at all like running it in a lake - it might start up and seem to run just fine on the earmuffs but not run worth a darn when you get it on the lake.

I wouldn't (won't) buy a used motor without testing it on the water first. Even if it's a bargain.

9. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia

Yes, you absolutely want to do a sea trial! :0a22:

10. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    It's just like buying a car, ALWAYS test drive.
    If it runs under load, and the vessel doesn't take on water...it's a pretty nice deal.
    And like Phil said check lower unit for water and metal shavings.

11. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The guy that has the boat hasn't registered or put a license on the trailer this year. Does anyone know the law about taking it out for a test run if it isn't registered this year?

12. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Dan, I wouldnt think that any DNR guys would give ya too much trouble if ya just kinda gave it a quick shake down cruise, but I wouldnt do much more than that in it without getting it registered first, I think it is worth having to possibly explain the situation to the DNR to have some piece of mind before putting your hard earned money on the line blindly hope this helps and it all works out for you :big_smile:

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    And if I knew someone that new a lot about boats i would ask them to go with me to check it out and if the person selling the boat act like he din`t want to I would RUN:big_smile:

14. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    very good information from all that answer. if I were buying another used boat this is where I'd ask.......

15. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There's a boat dealer I talked to yesterday and he said that it would be a deal if the motor would turn over and that it wouldn't hurt to maybe take it to him and he would take a look at it, just now I got to get a couple of bolts retapped in the hitch of my van and I'm going to take it down to him to look at. He said it sounded like a good deal as it was but nothing more.