Buying a Seaark 20' VPLD

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by WaterHog, Mar 13, 2008.

1. WaterHog

WaterHog New Member

State:
    Illinois
    New to this posting stuff so I hope I'm doing it right. I've got the chance to pick up a 20' VPLD for cheap. Once in a lifetime deal. The only thing is I can't afford a motor for it right now. Maybe in a year or two. I almost bought a small pontoon boat last year, but got a crestliner jon with a 25 efi 4 stroke instead. I thought about selling the boat and trailer and sticking the motor on the SA. I know there's no way it would plane off with that 25, but I wonder if it would push me around fast enough to cover a couple of 2-3,000 acre lakes in the neighborhood. I troll most of the time now anyway. If I knew I could roll around those lakes at 8-10mph, I'd get it. I saw a guy in a 20' lund Alaskan over the weekend, moving around on the lake with a 9.9 at about 8-10mph. I was surpised. The ower said the lund runs over a 1000lbs, similar to the vpld. If I could do what he did, that would be fine with me until I could afford to scale my power up down the line. Any thoughts on my predicament?

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    The nice thing about a SeaArk is it doesn't draft a lot of water. You might not plane with the 25 but it might be close. I certainly think you would move at 8-10 mph, you just might have to load EVERYTHING in the front to keep the nose down.

If you get a great deal on a SeaArk, buy it and QUICKLY!

How much did you say it was? And where can I find it if you don't buy it?

BTW, I love mine with an 80 jet on it which does just under 30mph.

3. WaterHog

WaterHog New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It belongs to a friend of a relative that owes me a favor. I could probably pick it up for 2-3K. The trailer isn't in the best shape though. Once I'm out of the picture, I have a feeling it won't last long. There's a long line waiting to jump in. I just get first dibs on it. I have a few days to mull it over. This 18'er I have may be enough right now. These lakes around here are awfully small and more than 18' is really unnecessary, unless bigger water calls.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    What year is it? As if it matters. :wink:

5. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    It would work... Go for it...

6. WaterHog

WaterHog New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's a 2000. The boat's in great shape, but like I said the trailer isn't

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    It's a SeaArk, buy it!:wink:

8. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you think you will be trolling with a gas motor in the future, you may want to go with a smaller temp motor that will be used for as a secondary later. The 25 would be too much for that.

9. WaterHog

WaterHog New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A 9.9 may be a better choice for a kicker. I agree. I bet that 9 would push that boat close to 10mph. What do you think?

10. WaterHog

WaterHog New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I learned from a good source that mounting a 25 horse with regular shaft would be too short for a vpld with a 25" transom. So, I suppose any kicker motor on that boat wouild have to have a extra long shaft. Apparently, those motors under 25 horses are a rarity according to my source.