Buying a new/very used RV? Any help?

Discussion in 'Capt Steve's RV and Camping Talk' started by Wvawitrado, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Hey Capt steve! Or anyone who can help? I am interested in a 1977 jamboree thats in supposed good running condition just needs a little clean up should I get one this old?....And what should I look out for when purchasing an older Rv? Any help greatly appreciated.....
    P.S.- Does it have power steering at this age? And other ammenities?

2. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Jordan, it would have to be really, really cheap for me to take a chance on it.
    Something that old is going to give you trouble. I speak from experience. Buy something newer and it will be cheaper in the long run.

3. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Were talking 500 cheap and new tires, brakes, radiator, and some other stuff....What should I look for in condition like signs and stuff that would show me poor use or other stuff? Thanks for the help brother much appreciated

4. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I BOUGHT A 1978 TIOGA CLASS C .
    MY WIFE MADE NEW CURTAINS , WE PUT NEW CARPET IN .
    I CHANGED ALL FLUIDS AND FILTERS , CHECKED OUT ALL JOINTS ,GASSED IT UP AND WE WENT TO ARKANSAS THE NEXT WEEK-END.
    I KEPT IT 2 YEARS AND FOUND A CLASS A BOUGHT IT AND SOLD THE CLASS C AT A PROFIT. YES THEY DO HAVE POWER STEERING.
    MAKE SURE MOTOR AND TRANS IS OK THEN THE REST IS MINOR.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you buy it, plan to replace all the belts and hoses that haven't already been recently replaced. Check the sidewalls of the tires for dry rot. Just because the tires have 90% tread doesn't mean that they are anywhere new. And check the tire size; some of the RVs made about then came with 16.5" wheels & tires...and they are hard to find, and expensive when you do. Check the propane system, including cooktop, oven, furnace, hot water heater, and fridge, if it works off propane. But check the fridge to make sure that it works using every power source that it's supposed to work off of. Check very closely for signs of leaks: around windows and doors; around every item that mounts on the roof; inside the cabinets; and if it has a bed over the cab, remove all the cushions and check them and the paneling for signs of leaks. Check the floor for soft spots. Check the holding tank for leaks, and also check the valve to empty it, because they tend to get very hard to open and close with age. Buying a newer motor home is a great idea, and may very well be money well spent....IF you have the money. I have a 1976 class C, and I'd really like to trade up to a bigger one, and hopefully one about 10 years newer. But my main reason is not the age of my RV, but rather that neither my wife nor I can climb up into the bed over the cab. So, I'm trying to scrape up the money for one with a rear bedroom.
    I just noticed that you're in California. Make sure you aren't going to have trouble getting it past the emission regulations there.

6. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i've got a 91 coachmen classic 35ft full amenties, great condition for the age only about 20,000 miles i think, it's on craigslist in the tulsa site if you want to check it out, willing to negotiate price if interested

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There is two on the farm. A 50k Winnebago and anpther brand that is a step under a bus type.
    Both have the same problems. Electrical.
    It is a JOB tracing down electrical problems in those things and they have their problems. More hidden compartments with relays running relays then a James Bond flying car.

8. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    no, problems like that with mine, hopefully ill never have to see those problems

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    While we're on the subject of older RVs, though, I've got a question about the toilet on mine. It's the type that has a foot pedal to flush it, and you push against some kind of spring that closes the valve at the bottom of the bows when you lift your foot. Trip before last, when I stepped down on the pedal, there was a loud SNAP, and the pressure to close the valve disappeared. Anybody got any idea what kind of spring is used for that? Do you think it's more likely that the spring broke or just came loose? And do I need to remove the entire toilet to try to fix this spring?

10. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    jtrew, it is easier to remove the toilet, I have found. That way you can get to everything and see what is what. Usually two bolts hold it down and you will most likely have to replace the wax/rubber ring. Good luck!