buying a gun

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by melstangman1967, Mar 17, 2008.

1. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    anyone have a suggestion on the type and caliber of gun to buy for home protection.

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats a loaded question Mel, no pun intended. Thats been a point of debate with many many varying opinions. I'll keep my input simple. It depends on your experience with a gun, and your resolve if you are ever forced to use it.
    If you are inexperienced, keep it simple and safe. Shoot it regularly, and get comfortable with it.
    As for caliber, what do you want to acomplish, do you want to scare them, wound them, or put them to rest? Choose a caliber that will give you the results you are looking for.
    Its been said that a "Defender" version of the 12 gauge pump is the best home defense weapon, good for its knock down ability even if not aimed well, and the probability that it wont penetrate interior walls like a pistol round and possibly harm a friendly.
    Go to a shooting range that sells guns, try several different types and calibers out, talk to the range pro about balistics and what you expect from a home defense weapon. Dont be afraid to ask questions. I'm sure they will be very apt to help you get what you need, given what ever experience level you are with guns. Good luck, be safe.

3. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I think a 12ga loaded with 00 buck or #4 buck is about what the DR ordered. One can get a shotgun in about any congiuration you can think of. You can get either full power or reduced recoil rounds. Heck any shotgun for that matter is good for home defense. I prefer my Mossberg 500 in 12 ga for the duty. But any rifle or handgun can and will do the trick also. I just hope you never have to use any weapon for home defense. Whatever you decide just practice and always be safe. Best of luck to you on whatever you decide.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    check out the Mossberg 500 Persuader. 12 gauge with pistol grip and cut down barrel. they are nice home protection weapons. you dont have to be very accurate with them, just pray and spray. My personal weapon of choice is a Springfield XD40 with HydraShock hollowpoints. It has the stopping and knockdown power i need in case a bad guy decides to get stupid enough to come in my home, and if i am not home, it is not to much gun for my wife to handle. May not be everyones personal choice, but i like it alot. i take it fishing with me in case i am out in the middle of no-where and some less than friendly individuals decide they like my truck and want to take it for a spin. It is the subcompact model so it fits nicely in the pocket of my jacket, but will sure put rounds on target if neccasary.

5. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was told a long time ago,that a hand gun is for personal protection. A shotgun will defend your house.I would go with a 12 gage with slide action,and 00 buckshot for su casa. and pray you never have to use it.
    smokey

6. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    get a 12ga and also get a handgun

7. GumboGalahad

GumboGalahad New Member

State:
    Richmond, Indiana
    I have always been a fan of the Remington 870. They are very reliable and easy to maintain and get parts for if the need ever came up. I've owned one for over 20 years and it has never jammed on me or broken. I don't know if you are a hunter but you could buy a short barrel for when it is in the house and change to the longer one to go hunting. Easy to do and takes all of 5 seconds. The only other thing you would need is a box of 00 buckshot.

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Good grief Mel what you want a gun for protection for. If they get one look at you they'd die of fright anyway:tounge_out:LOL.
    Seriously a shotgun would be the way to go even if your not a good shot.just point and fire. No aiming needed.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah the rem 870 is nice we used those when i worked in corrections.I like the winchester i think its the 1300? it has a faster action then the 870.

10. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Short barreled shotguns are cheap and unmatched for home protection. If you choose a pistol don't over power it were it would go through a couple walls before stopping. Large, slow moving bullet is the best.

11. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the shot gun is the best for home defense. there is a home defense course for shotguns. my daughter took it in dallas i think. she knew how to shoot, but it went through a lot of what to do and not to do.

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    12 ga shot gun 000,slug,000,slug,000 and a 40 cal pistol or 45.

Also a great dog will be a good house guard. I got three!

13. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    A pump shotgun is the best defence weapon. I would advise NOT using BUCK SHOT. First of all it is not legal in all states and second it will go clean through walls because of it's large ball diameter. I would use #4 heavy loads then you could claim you were using a hunting load...Lawyers love to say when one uses buck shot it is premeditated murder. Remember the crooks have more rights than home owners.

Jesse
    Tennessee Wildlife Resources Hunter Safety Instructor

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    when you properly break in a pump action shotgun you should be pretty quick at emptying it, regardless of the model. i have four pumps, and can empty them real fast. i also have neighbors close, so the home defense load for that is high brass #6 or #4 shot. if you ever have any doubts on birdshot's effectiveness at close range, take you a double thick piece of plywood with pheasant loads and slam it once or twice at 10 feet. it will knock 50 cent size holes right through it. it will do the same thing to a puke trying to victimize you and your family as well. hopefully it never comes to that, but get you something and practice and get proficient with it, and you'll have your end of the deal covered. just make sure you get you something that you are very comfortable with and can reload quickly- just because your gun is empty don't at all mean the fight is over.

15. Defender

Defender New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebraska
    A pump shotgun in 12 or 20 gauge would be ideal. Whatever you get, make sure you practice, practice, and then practice some more. Learn to field strip and clean your weapon.

I strongly recommend using buckshot as your defensive load, and alternating buckshot with slugs is a fine idea. Birdshot just does not make for an effective defensive load due to the problem of lack of penetration. You might want to check out www.theboxotruth.com for a good, relevant penetration study.

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I agree with all the posts. Go with the 12 ga. shotgun. Reason being, at close range you don't have to aim, just point and shoot. Hopefully you will never have to use it for home defense, but it eases the mind knowing if the case ever comes up, your protected! I disagree with using a pistol, simply because in a fast paced scenerio, you have to aim at the attacker and hope to hit your target. This takes alot of practice to be proficient and I believe the shotgun is better suited for home defense.

17. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i am actually very comfortable with using my pistol for home defense, but that is probably because i have had fairly extensive training using all sorts of weapons. for a person without the training, i would go with the cut down 12 gauge. it is easier to handle than the long guns and you dont have to worry about tight quarters as much.

18. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I'll go with a shotgun. But anything LOUD will do the trick.
    Unless you just want to really shoot or kill someone

I got a 357 and its a ear ringer. Awhile back I caught some guys tring to get into my wifes car.
    Let out 3 shots thats all it took. We dont have skunks in the city, So one of them must have went in his pants

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Shotgun,but small shot . I dont want to hurt an innocent .

20. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    was thinking of buying for home protection hand gun best for the job