Buying a Car on Ebay???

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RiverKing, Dec 1, 2006.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Just wondering what everyone thinks about buying a car off of Ebay...Would you , or Wouldnt why, and why....?????

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    No, I like to kick the tires first. Cant do that with a mouse. :wink:

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have bought and sold several. Feedback feedback feedback.
    Lots of pictures lots of close ups. Recognize that it is used. Know what the value is. If you buy it too cheap usually there is a reason.
    Figure what it will cost for you to go get it and add another 50%
    If you are going to do that I'd be happy to give you wholesale values or I can bid at a dealer only auction in your area.

4. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    Just as loanwizard said Feedback is all important.
    There are a lot of scams on cars and RV's out there.
    Buyer beware.

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wouldn't buy a zippo on ebay. My girlfriend's son got robbed on a set of wheels for his eclipse. Ebay didn't do anything about it. Nobody did, and he's out several hundred bucks.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Got a neighbor that does high end buyin of mopar products on Ebay. He also takes the time to physically inspect the car when possible if distance allows.

7. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona

I agree, e-bay makes me nervous because of this reason. I could not buy a car without driving it.

8. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    I have never bid on a car on E-Bay but I believe it would be not too much different than buying anything else on there, only the amount of money you stand to lose would be greater.
    First: Learn E-Bay: There are several ways to check out a seller. Use them all. Feedback is a very important tool if you use it. Feedback less than 100 percent is suspect.
    Second: As Shawn said, get pictures and more pictures of the car. If they are not already posted, ask for them. If the seller will not provide you additional pictures -- RUN
    Third: Make the minimum payment up front then inspect and drive the car before handing over the rest of the purchase price. If the seller will not agree to that -- RUN

You should consider Shawns offer. His BOC feedback is 100%.

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    A friend bought a car on E bay and it was what the guy said it was. He had it put on a car carrier for the trip here.
    Bill

10. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Thanks for the plug. EBay like anything else, is a risk. Has anyone got any horror stories of buying a vehicle from a private owner? How about a dealership? There is a certain amount of risk when you get out of bed in the morning. There are however, steps you can take to minimize the scary part.
    I didn't even know there was a BOC feedback, but on Ebay I do not have perfect feedback. I have 222 transactions as both buyer and seller. I have 3 negatives 1 neutral and 218 positive. You can read every single one of them. Let me tell you my war stories.

1 of my negative feedbacks said I never shipped. I did ship, had proof, but the negative was already there. My second said that I damaged their printer with inadequate shipping. He had insisted that I use Fed Ex insured and refused to turn it in, blaming me. My neutral is from a guy that bought a $5.00 sports team watch and said it was low quality...

It is my most recent negative comment that really frosted me. This will illustrate the bad the ugly and what you need to watch out for. I have sold a $50,000.00 Viper on Ebay with no problem. I had a customer that totalled her 96 Contour and wanted another. I didn't have one but she is one of my good paying customers and I told her I would look for one. I found one listed by a guy name MJAutos out of PA. He had good feedback and by his name I thought he was a dealer. He had approximately 6-7 pictures that were somewhat distant. What got me was he said it had a few scratches and dings consistent with being used. When I got it (I sent a driver or this never would have happened) the pass mirror was screwed in with wood screws, the fender was pushed, scratches were scrapes and there was about $800.00 mechanical work nec. I patched it up, and put my customer in it until I got her something better, which she now has and is now a lifetime customer. Anyhow, as a Dealer and director on the Ohio Independent Dealer Association, affilliate of the NIADA, I was a little angry about this. The seller has since changed his user name and to my knowlege has not listed another car.
    Yes, I understand that there are dangers out there but it was my fault. You cannot blame the platform for the frailness of human character.

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Shawn that right there is about the funniest thing Ive read in awhile, still holding back laughter. Bought a 5 dollar watch and its low quality LOL. Ive made a 1 transaction on Ebay and it was good (bought a 6500C3 :big_smile: ), my wife has made some transactions with no problems. Im not sure I would buy a car unless I knew someone from that state that could check it out other than that why not.

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I bought my boat, and several other things from Ebay, about 12 in all, and have not had any problems what so ever. I think the key is actually talking to the seller on the phone when possible, you can get a pretty good idea what kind of person you are dealing with by talking on the phone.

13. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Thanks for all the responses, the reason i ask was because i am currently bidding on a car on ebay..But...I got nervous cause i dont want to buy a car without driving it either, so I let someone out bid me...The good news is the auction doesnt end until 2 more days, so i emailed the seller and ask if i could come drive it, and he said yes..So i am not bidding on it any longer, I am just going to drive it, and see if i want it..At first it was an ebay purchase, but it is turning into a private owner purchase, which i feel more comfortable with actually getting to "meet" the guy selling the car, and inspect the car before the purchase...Only bad thing is im in Ohio And the car is in michigan...SO needless to say,I am making a slight road trip tommorow...HOPE I LIKE IT...I will let yall know

14. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    Just because a person has a good feedback always doesn't tell the tale.
    I just went through a deal where I won a router from a guy with a good feedback and a large seller to boot.
    After waiting over 3 weeks I never receiver the router, I contacted the seller and was told it had got lost and he would ship another.
    Another 3 weeks passed - no router! I contacted him again and was told he had shipped it to my PO box and it was returned to him, I never ever had a PO address and my paypal shows my ship to address correct, as I have a lot of mail and UPS coming in daily everyone knows me real well, if it was anywhere in the country it would have been delivered, that was a very lame and unbelievable excuse.
    I contacted him again and told him if he would refund my money I would give him a good feedback, he so did immediately.
    I believe I purchased the router at a loss to him and he just didn't want to fufill his end of the agreement, looking at his feedback I couldn't believe that I had been the only one with a problem but there were no other complaints along the line of my problem.

I recently bought a boat on e-bay from a guy who lives at Keystone lake! I had a lot of photos to look at, the seller and I had a lot of e-mails back and forth. He had understated the condition of the boat and forgot tell me about all the work he had done on it untill I picked it up! I made a heck of a good deal to say the least.

Good luck
    Mark

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I support in person over internet sales

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I been thinking about trying to sell our tractor on ebay but since I've never bought or sold on ebay no one would probably trust me.

17. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    That is not true. Write it honest and straight forward. Tell and show the good points without sounding like a used car salesman :eek:oooh: Point out every flaw and take pictures of every flaw. The more detailed the description, the more trustworthy the seller. Remember it is not just an auction but a live advertisement. Include your phone numer and encourage them to call. If they email you a question, answer it as quickly as possible. You can also look at completed sales of like items and see if you love your item more than other sellers loved theirs. (whose price is cheaper) Anything will sell on ebay, it's just a negotiation of price/value.

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Shawn,
    Thanks for the info.
    I ran it on a tractor forum, the only inquiries I received were obvious scams.

19. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    well I went ahead and bought the truck that was on ebay.drove it back from michigan, and it ran great...Glad to finally have a 4 wheel drive vehicle..The only thing the seller didnt mention was a tear in the head liner, which isnt a big deal, i think it will be like 100 bucks to get fixed, the rest of the car is in real good shape...Couldnt be happier...SO FAR ANYWAYS...LOL...But seriously, it seems like a good car, i think i did alright.

20. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    One ebay tip I wold pass on to anyone new, don't bid on the item until very late in the auction. The only thing bidding on an item with 2 days or more on it, or even 1 day on it is drive up the price. I don't even start bidding until the final couple of hours, unless it is something I can not be around when the auction ends, then I will put my "max not exceed bid". Thus, how I got my boat.........:crazy: never thought my bid would stick until the end.....