Buying a bow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Hopper, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Hopper

Hopper New Member

State:
    NC
    I am wanting to buy a compound bow and I have several questions before I start looking around. Years ago a hunter told me I have to find one that fit my size? What did he mean by that? Also, I have some shoulder problems that reduced my pulling strength. Can the tension be adjusted on bows? What other questions should I ask when I go shopping around?

Thanks

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Draw length was what he was referring to. Find a good local shop that can help you out on this. One more thing to keep in mind is get a bow rated for the weight you feel comfortable with. Do not buy a 70 lb bow and shoot it at 50, a bow works more efficiently closer to peak draw weight.

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Yes doug has said about all... but also remember that speed isnt everything.. dont do u any good to shoot 300+ FPS (feet per second) if you cant hit the boiler room ( heart/lung shot) i shoot a Browning Rage and the draw length on it is from 23"- 33" and the weight ranges from 55-65 Lbs i think.. This is a GREAT bow all around for beginners - experts.. the bow was only 300.00 for everything... including: sites, stableizer, rest, quiver, and some arrows... and set up.. the bow shoots around 290 MAX FPS.. but i can shoot with my cousins 900.00 bowtech bow and the rest of my family who shoots mathews, bowtech, and even my uncles crossbow... My browning has a great Peak point ( where while pulling the bow back, after pulled back around 3/4 of the way back it is very easy to pull on back and hold.. i can hold mine back for around 3 mins and still hit the target within 2 inches of the middle ) umm i shoot 200 Radial X weave arrows with 2 in. blazer fletchings on them.. they are for a 50-60 lb bow and are much lighter and FASTER! i also use crimson talon broadheads which are 100 gr. they do massive destruction! my bow is set on around 57lbs and i can shoot it about 100 times.. take an hour break, and shoot it around 100 more times... and it has plenty of knock down at 40-45 yards to drop a deer easy.. just remember that practice makes perfect... umm when adjusting your sights, if your shooting to the right.. adjust ur sights right.. if shooting high adjust ur sights up.. and that will bring you in... you should read up on how to paper tune your bow also... this is a major factor before you go out to get that big buck... but ill tell ya now.. bowhunting IS ADDICTIVE! lol and if your not careful, you will end up spending over 1000.00 on equipment of it... Anymore question feel free to ask me...

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Doug is right. Don't listen to the hype, just get a bow you can shoot comfortably and learn to shoot it well. Matt was referring to the "let off" after the cams reach breaking point. A lot of bows offer 65% let off which makes it easy to hold after the bow is at full draw. Unless you are sure you want to be a bow hunter, I'd suggest you look around for a name brand used bow (after your local bow shop helps you determine your draw length) There are a lot of people that trade in really good bows just so they can "keep up with the Jones's". You can get a bow will last a lifetime without breaking the bank.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have a mathews with 85% let off but draws 75lb its a nice bow they sell for 600 new i got mine used for 200 i also have a pse nova i bought it new for 485 with everything and a jennings i got at a pawn shop for 50 they all work great . the best advice has been given check out your local shops find one that has been around awhile and you should get the help you need .

most shops will set up a used bow if you bring it in

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    not trying to push browning onto u or anything but my bow has 75 or 80 % let off which means... Larger breaking point? or faster let off? help me out here man... but like he said... it dont cost a fortune to get a good bow.. my first bow was 40.00 from a local dealer.. it was a pse... and i should have kept it...

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    This is a good post, I recently bought my son a Hoyt, I thought I got a great deal. I spent a lot of money getting it up in quality shape, only to find out he couldn't pull it. I didn't know what I was buying or anything about a compound bow. The shop where I had it worked on went over everything I needed to know, and although I couldn't afford a new one he told me what to buy. I did find what I needed on ebay, and it should be here by friday. Then I am going to have to take him back to the shop and have him checked out with it. Kind of makes you want to kick yourself in the tail. So now I have a Hoyt super slam in excellent condition sitting here looking pretty. Later Andy