Buying a boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Ellis, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Well, im going to try and buy a boat and i was wondering if anyone has any reccomendations. I jsut need the boat, my dad has an old 4hp motor. I want the boat to be pretty much plain with room for 4 people, is about 5ft wide and can hold 1,000 lbs. Maybe room for 2 poles to troll with in the back. Im looking to spend $500-$1000. Thanks.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

just about any jon boat fits your description and they are very affordable. 10-14 foot sounds about right. Good luck and congrats.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    As mentioned, a johnboat would fit your budget but with a 4hp motor you might want to reconsider the 4 people or reconsider your boat requirements. I would recommend 2 people max and set it up to fish at least 4 poles. 4 people in a boat don't need much room....to sit still! But if they are fishing and bringing tackle and coolers plus all the boat gear you need like life jackets and anchors etc. you are going to need a bigger boat and with only a 4hp motor something has got to give. One thought would be to get the biggest boat you can in your price range and then start saving for a bigger motor to replace the 4hp as soon as you can. Even with the bigger boat I would still only go with 2 guys at a time...W

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    To give you an idea for space for 4 people , a 18 foot center console G3 fishes 2 people comfortably. 3 people becomes a crowd and you have to really watch your casting. I wouldnt even attempt it at 4 people. I'd have more fun moving dirt at the barn with a shovel and a 5 gallon bucket.

If you arent careful you overload those jon boats real quick.

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'd have to agree with Mark. I have a 20' lowe center console thats 8' wide across the back, its a pretty big boat. My boat fishes 2 people perfectly, 3 is a little cozy but do-able, put 4 in the boat And I would rather stay home, you can't move without bumping into someone.

6. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I recently bought a 14 ft. jon boat, and I wouldn't even attempt more than 2 people. Someone would be going overboard...:lol:

7. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I have a 16foot tracker pro-V it's very nice with 2 people you get 3 on board and it becomes kinda crouded, i usually fish from the rear and the wife and daughter fish from the side, they can fish with one rod each any more than that and woops were tangled again.. i would think a little bigger on the boat and horse power. if you plan on getting a boat get the widest and longest money will allow.. good luck

8. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Same here. My center console eats up the space.

If I took 3 of my friends the beer alone would sink the boat and I don't drink.

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I agree, my 16 footer is perfect for 2, but get 3 or more and it would get awfully tight..