Buying a black powder pistol

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Katfish Kern, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I'm looking at buying a 1851 Confederate Navy .44 cal. I have never owned a black powder pistol before. Is this a good choice, and does anyone have any other ideas for black powder pistols???

2. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    I bought a .50 cal CVA kit in 1993. Took my time building it, a very fun project. Hawken style pistol, shoots well. Heavy kick (50 cal) fun!!:big_smile:
    Not my first black powder kit. Richland arms, Michigan rifle. Sort of a shorter kentuckey rifle. 45 cal. Built that in 1975, I was 14. Never sell either gun. For me, something special about a kit gun. Give it some consideration. I saw a kit revolver somewhere. I'm a little leery of revolvers myself. For sure, buy what you like. Good luck to you.

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I would stay away from revolvers with brass frames. A brass trigger guard
    is fine but the frame needs to be steel if its going to be used a lot. Look
    at the 1858 Remington or the colt old armys they have a top strap. The
    fames on 1851 and 1860 Colt are not as strong as ones with a back strap.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Make sure you learn a little bit about a cap and ball revolver . I own a few and the main tip I can give you is make sure you use vasoline or something to coat the end of the cylinders after loaded . Its a fine gun and fun to shoot . I dont shoot mine much but they are great guns .

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i had the '51 navy colt (replica) .44 for years, and never shot it for fear of chain firing. a buddy showed me how to do it with the bore butter and all that. those things are a hoot! i got out in the cut sunflowers and shot cottontail rabbits with mine. i could do that every day and it wouldn't get old.

6. shotscott

shotscott New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Might want to try a sturdy B P single shot. No chain fires (all cylinders at once), and only have to load that one shot. Lots of fun and cheaper than shell guns, and easier to clean. Have fun, be safe. Scott

7. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    ive got three black powder pistols and 2 .58 cal 1enfield and a springfeild lol they r a blast go to dixie gunworks.com

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
  9. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Have you got your BP revolver yet? I shoot alot of blackpowder in pistols, rifles, muskets and shotguns. If your just wanting to target shoot I'd go with a .36, usualy cheaper on store bought lead balls and if you cast your own its alot more cost effective. Ive owned .22, .25, .31, .32, .36, .38 and .44 cal blackpowder revolvers. Like was said I'd stay away from brass frames unless your only going to shoot a few cylinders a year. Seal each chamber with lard or Bore Butter etc. That seals the chambers from having a chain fire. I prefer lard as it coats the bore when your fire and seasons it nice just like an old cast iron skillet. Theres alot of things you can use. I seen peanut butter used in a pinch(alot of oil in peanut butter). Loaded correctly a BP revolver is as safe to use as a modern pistol. The open top revolvers are inherently weaker then the ones with a backstrap ie: Remington etc. having said that Ive never had a BP revolver fail and like the Navy/Army patterns.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    We used plain Crisco shortening to good effect, and much cheaper. All the ones I've fired have been made in Italy. (Uberti, I believe.)

Your choice was "Wild Bill's" choice as well....carried a pair.

11. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    Wild Bill carried .36's? One of the funnest guns to squirrel hunt with is a BP revolver. I try to get out with mine as much as possible later in the year. Wont wear out your dressing knife with one but its just plain fun. Makes a good backup too if your hunting with a BP long gun. Long gun for the longer shots, revolver or single shot pistol for the closer shots. I prefer a .32 or .36 revolver for squirrels but any caliber will work.

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Yup, Wild Bill carried a pair of 36's, sans holsters, in a sash round his waist. I believe his first recorded gun fight, was a shot of over the distance of a city "square"....quite a feat; when he still had his eyesight.

13. 51colt

51colt New Member

State:
    CA
    I have three cap and ball revolvers 44 1851 Colt brass frame, 1858 Remington New Model Army and a Colt Walker. I don't hardly shoot my other handguns anymore. Best thing to do is go to a shop were you can handle the diferent cap and ball revolvers and see what fits your hand. A 51 Colt points and shoots well. As for brass frames thay are not as strong as steel if you don't load them hot you won't have any problums. My 51 likes 18gr of fff Goex and a 454 ball toped off with grits i use greese cookies insted of Crisco. Most chain fires come from the back of the cylinder from poor fitting caps that are too loose or fall off.
    here is a link with a lot of info. http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/Choy.html and http://www.voy.com/60048/

Mike

14. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    Another fun BP "revolver" is the "pepper box's". No accuracy whatsoever but just a plain fun gun. Im looking around now for a flintlock pistol, preferably largebore and smoothbore. Possibly a double barrel. Its to compliment my flinter musket. Idealy with 10"-14" barrel(s).