Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Spider, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    As you may know, I've had a lot of problems with a used boat purchase. I'm not writing this post to bitch but rather to say that people need to be much more carefully when making a purchase than I was. I wanted a boat bad and make a bunch of mistakes in judgment. First I allowed myself to give some trust to a dealership relying on the fact that they were in business over 40 years and a family owned one. Second I failed to look things over as well as I should have and failed to carefully go over paperwork before buying.
    I've surrendered to my mistakes and swallowed my losses. Now it is time to consider what I need to do to get this boat and trailer to what I'd like it to be.
    I'm not going to plaster the dealers name on the internet. I just don't feel right doing that.
    Just be careful in your purchases and don't end up in the same boat as I'm in.
    *** Now to start planning out a repair / improvement list. ***

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Would'nt lemon laws apply? I don'y know but it may be worth a shot. Go down swingin. Sorry for your misfortune.

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Spider,
    Even with a used boat, you bought the boat in good faith- you should expect a dealer to stand behind the boat. Is the boat the same brand as the dealer represents?
    If not contact a reputable dealer of the same boat brand. They may be open to helping you out.
    Contact the manufacturer and explain story. Manufacturers dont want bad boats or publicity on the market and the forums.
    Just a few thoughts,
    Lindsay

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    When you are dealing with a dealer don't give up. That's exactly what they want you to do. They don't want you to go away mad , they just want you to go away. Hope ya get the problem resolved, might talk to a lawyer or two to see where you stand.

5. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I just wish I'd know, at the time, about craigslist.com. That's water under the bridge and hindsight though. I've pretty much mashed this issue to a pulp with these people. I sent another email (can't afford the LD phone calls right now) and was a lot less than polite. Doubt it will do any good but I have nothing to lose. I guess what really bugs me is that the dollar amount may not be much for some but it was for me. For sure, the dealer lost nothing with the trade when he got the boat and rthen turned around and screwed me. No matter if they knew of the problems or not, that has no bearing on the matter. It just pisses me off that it seems like it's always the average working person that has things hard is always the one ending up on the short end.
    Sorry to ramble but I'm on a narcotic back medication and a little screwed up right now.
    I've not completely given up yet, there is always the option for me to get pissed all over again.
    :eek:oooh:

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    What are some of the problems you are having with the boat. There are a lot of people on the BOC that may have had to fix the same things on their boats. As far as dealers go, you have to be persistant. They got what they wanted with the sale, now you have to get what you want, a good boat. Is it a new boat, or used. If it is new then they have to get it fixed for you and if they dont then contact the manufacturer of the boat and they will make it happen. Most of the time if it is a used boat then it is usually a BUY AS IS situation. Hope this helps.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you don't get satisfaction then do some free advertising for that dealer. Paint a sign on the side of your boat that says: If your looking for a lemon then shop at.( The dealers name and address. I know a man that purchased a car that the dealer would not repair. He painted lemons on the car and listed the address of the dealer. The dealer painted the car and repaired the problem , no charge.

8. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Posting the dealers name didn't sit well with me but this whole thing sits even less.
    I changed my mind.
    Want to buy a used boat and get screwed? Good chance you can at Lancaster County Marine, Akron, PA
    http://www.lancastercountymarine.com/

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    "Our Trade-ins are Checked & Warrantied for Enjoyable Trouble Free Boating!"
    that should say alot right there....did they give you a warranty, if not that is false advertising, they should have checked all issues w/the trade in before they sold it, or was it listed as one of the fixer uppers?? also what issues are you having??

10. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    After less than two weeks I contacted them regarding at least seven areas with leaks (mostly at rivets). I took it back and technically they fixed the leaks but did it by only applying 3M patch over the rivets. The three rear seat are cross braces appear to have been ripped from the boat and put back with newer larger rivets in different locations. The ends of the braces are actually away from the floor about 1/4". After I got it back I had it out and found that two more rivets are leaking. At the outing I found, when getting my truck to load back up, that the rear axle on the trailer is rusted out to the point where I have two holes about the size of a pencli eraser through the metal. The walls of the axle (a U channel) are very thin and mostly rusted away. The trailer rollers are dry rotted and cracked, the bunk padding is pretty much worn out.
    Another thing that concerns me is that the hull of the boat has paint coming up and a very lage amount of what appears to be coorosion under the paint. I'm no boat expert but these things don't take a rocket scientist to tell they are not good. I was overcharged. If these problems were not present I'd have no reason to be unhappy. I already rebuilt the bow stop and tower bracing on the trailer because the Y stop was shot and the brace would bend when you loaded the boat. The winch had a cheap piece of rope on it that I replaced with a strap. I also had to move the winch tower forward because the boat has hanging about 20" behind the bunks and the bunks were resting under areas of the boat that did not have the hull support. The first repairs they made look like crap and are just sealant globbed over the rivets. On both sides under the outter ends of each cross brace there are welds (I think three or four each side) where it appears the original rivets were ripped loose or whatever and the hull welded back together. I only wanted a nice fishing boat, motor , and trailer. Nothing fancy but sound. Some of it is my mistakes for not knowing what to look for but I don't think that should make any difference. I emailed the owner (can't afford the LD phone chargers right now) concerning the most recent leaks found and the trailer axle issue. I get a reply back that they will fix the leaks but nothing said about the trailer. I asked for a replacement rig. The last two emails have gone unanswerd. I was never told about the "All Sales Final" and 50/50 condition of the warranty and only found this out after the sale and with the receipt. I don't like to make waves and can't afford to pursue this in any legal fashion. I'm thinking they will just push the All Sales Final crap. This wasn't a lot of money for some people but it was for me. I paid too much and wish I'd know what I know now. Hindsight but sucks none the less.
    I've informed them again that I'm not satisfied and that I've informed internet forums of this stuff. They would probably not take it back now anyway, I took everything out of the boat in prep for making repairs. This amounted to six homemade rod holders, pressure treaded flooring just screwed to ratty cross braces, seats. Nothing that can't go back in with about an hours work. I even told them I'd be willing to accept a replacement that was in the "Very Good Condition" they told me this was in. The intial contact was with the owner and he made the condition statement and actually tried to say after the first repairs (patching) that the boat was in good condition. Contradiction here being the the condition went from Very Good to Good. It's neither in Good noe Very Good, I'd say maybe fair. Sorry to ramble on but this has me a bit disturbed. Just a trip there will cost me enough for gas to make the drive. I truely excpected better from a dealer that has been there for 40 years.
    To make repairs I'll need to do the following items:
    1. Repair at least two leaks.
    2. Remove the patching and try to make correct repairs to the original leaks.
    3. Live with or do something about the welded up areas.
    4. Clean up the hull and seal or paint to remove corrosion.
    5. Replace flooring with a more suitable material and framework.
    6. Replace the trailer axle
    7. Replace the bunk padding
    8. Replace the trailer rollers.

Another problem is that I'm not very good with dealing with people in person or on the phone. I tend to get pissed off and say things I shouldn't and can't help it. I've pretty much given up trying to resolve this with them. I made too many mistakes and I'm stuck with project that cost me way to much for waht it is. The motor runs great and that's about all I'm not unhappy with.
    Again, sorry to take up people's time her. But I felt that it should be said.

11. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I have sent the owner an email informing him of my possible intention to file a complaint with our areas Better Business Bureau. See if he responds.

12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Larry i "Know" how ya feel for sure:wink: If ya lived in arkansas i would have swore ya went to my dealer:tounge_out: It happened to me with a brand new spanking 20/72 grizzly-Big-cat edition....21,000 loaded and some change...i have lost 1/2 my mind on this deal:eek:oooh: and still lokking for the other 1/2...in & out so many times if i didnt have a log book i couldnt keep up with it....DONT GIVE UP OR IN!!!! Stand ya ground firmly, document contacts take pictures, be persistant, meet em at the door when they open, send certified letters, do the better buisness bureau, let them know you feel cheated & let everyone else know also.....check your rights as a buyer under your state laws.....if it dont help then take all your documented info & pictures and consult legal aide ....1st visit is free..at least ya can say you did all you can do.

13. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    This morning I got a call from the owner. I'll be taking the boat back down and we will see what ends up happening. I'll keep you informed.