BUYER BEWARE!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cheapNdisgusting, Jun 26, 2009.

1. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I have an old Chrysler 9.9hp. that is my favorite small motor. On a recent fishing trip the cowl (top cover) flew off somewhere on the highway. After the trip I got on the internet and had very little luck finding one. The one I did find was cracked and the guy wanted $50 plus shipping which was to be $30. $80 TOTAL FOR A CRACKED ONE, didn't buy it.

A week ago I went into a real boat store to get some grease for the lower unit. As I was paying for it, the owner asked if this was all I wanted. Jokingly I replied I needed a cowl for the 9.9. To my amazement he replied "I've got one but I want to sell the whole motor". "The motor is missing a carb. and the starter rewind and I'll take $100 CASH for it and throw in the grease for free but there is no title". Done deal!! I get the cowl and have the rest of it for future parts if I ever need any.

I took the motor down to my farm and put it next to my motor. The new one was in far better shape than my old one. I decided to put my parts on the new one and use my old one for spare. Before I did it I went to the county courthouse to see what needed to be done for this to happen. They ran a trace on the motor and gave me the name of the titled owner. I called him and explained what I wanted to do and asked if he still had the title.

It turned out that he had taken the motor in for a "tune-up" at the same place I bought it from. He was not a happy person. He claims the dealer had called him and said the motor had major problems and would cost more to repair than it was worth. They both agreed to hold off for a while. (how long I do not know). The owner claims the motor ran good and the tune-up was preventive maint.

Enter me. I have a bill of sale from a dealer that didn't have the right to sell it. The original owner is not mad at me and thanked me for contacting him. He was going to go to the dealership and the Sherrif to get it straight, and promised me that I was going to come out of it with either the title or my $100.

I don't want to give the name of the dealership because I only have one side of the story, but as it unfolds I will keep this post updated.
    The old saying that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Buyer beware.

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    most places have a time limit to have work done and or items to be picked up, if this man went past the limit not much he can do, and the dealer has every right to sell the motor, most times the dealer must give the owner every chance to reclaim his motor but not knowing the whole story,history, and laws you may be out of a motor, or have gotten a great deal and one new pissed off friend.

3. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    That's a shame, but like you said, one side of the story. But I'm biased towards the previous owner, as there is such a dealership not too far from here that is exactly the same. Crooked as all get out and not customer friendly at all. Finding a boat shop you can trust is a real gem nowadays.

4. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    The dealer may have been perfectly with-in his rights to sell the motor, again, I only know the original owner's side of this. Till THEY settle this, I can still use the cowl.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hope it works out for you russell:wink:

6. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In

what cowl?? there wasnt a cowl on there when you got it was there?? :smile2::smile2:

good luck, hope everything turns out good for you, ive noticed other threads showing youve been looking for that part for a while!

7. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    The REAL story finally came out. The motor was a "borrowed motor" from this guy's father (whom he still lived with) (same name except Jr.) and was in the dealers shop for repair for at least 5 years. The kid lied to his old man about where the motor was and never paid the dealer for the work. The dealer used a couple parts off it over the years and finally sold it to me.

The father (whom I finally got to talk to) told me to keep the motor because he bought a new one. He was not happy with his offspring.

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Wow what a story. Worked out for you though brother:wink:

9. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    glad it worked out for ya!