Buy or not?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Ellis, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Well ive been wanting a boat for a long time and i found one in paper. its a 12ft jon boat with a 10hp motor, a trolling motor a livewell and 4 rod holders. It costs only $400 but the problem is, im only 14 and the practical use of it would suck. I odnt have a car so i couldnt go out anytime i want, and closest place to boat it would be in springfield. which is a 15-20min away drive. BTW im 14

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ellis, it sounds like a decent buy if it is sea worthy, so the next question is to talk to good ole mom and Dad and see if you paid for it if either of them would take you out every so often and the 3 of you could all learn about boats, motors and if your lucky, even some fishing and it coud be a great opportunity for your folks to spend some quality time with you vs you running off with some weird friends who are bad influences :eek:oooh:

Good luck!
    Salmonid

3. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you have the money buy it! You may find that when you get a boat other friends will come into the picture, maybe one of them can help take you and your boat out. Plus if it runs good thats a real good deal. Plus if later you decide to sell it you can sell it for more than $400.00.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Definatly go check out the condition of the boat. Also make sure you get the title before you give him the money. Alot of boats are stole and never recovered. Then sold cheap without a title.

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Sounds like the boat would be just the checkers for you to get started with...And the price seems fair enough if everything is OK. On the practical side you've answered your own question. I remember how bad I wanted my first boat too, so I can feel your pain. You are right in understanding the problems of having the boat sitting there and not being able to use it. I'd hold on tight to my boat money and wait out the next couple of years until you can have it the way you want. At 56 I can guarentee the time will go faster than you think. Besides that something better may come your way. You're a wise man to look at all the options before jumping.
    Don

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Keida,

No offense of you rage or experience, but I assume your folks will be with you if you purchase. That is a really good deal if everything checks out alright. If you have the cash and your folks support your purchase then go for it. I would have killed for that set up when I was 14. If you get a boat...I promise your friend base will increase and many of them will just happen to have something to pull your boat around with. Just make them pay for the gas...lol.

7. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    well it sounds like i will get it. But i dont have ANY friends who like to fish... except for my 3 BOC brothers that live in my town. Actually a couple of my moms friends like to fish, they would take me probably.

8. DuckNurse

DuckNurse New Member

State:
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    Sounds like a great chance to make some new friends!!:cool2:

9. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Enjoy your boat when you get it. It's a great way to make new friends and even old fishing buddies will be more than willing to get you to water.
    Congrats

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Morning, Is It A Requirement There, To Be Of A certain Age Or Having Completed A Boating Safety Course Before You Could Operate The Boat With Your Friends ?

As Long As You Are Able To Operate It Legally & Safely, Then I Would Buy It, If It Looks As Good As It Sounds. Whatever Decision You Make, I'm Sure That It Will Be A Sound One.

In The Event You Obtain The Boat, Just Remember To Always Be Safe, You & Your Friends Have Many Years Ahead Of You Of Which To Enjoy, HTH Elliot

11. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    One thing at a time. Drivers licence is right around the corner then Pickup truck.

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    buy it, you will have friends showing up with a towing ball before you know it. One that size could be towed with just a bumber ball.