Buy boat out of State-legal ?'s

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Shootandfish1, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Most folks know about me being interested in the Grizzy 2072 and yes it is my fault for not looking at them sooner before leaving for Florida.None are available locally

I have had time today trying to get some information and I thought somebody here may be able to help.

One thought was to buy a boat in Florida, go fishing for several weeks, then bring the boat back home with me about the middle of Nov.

I'm a full-time KY resident. If I already had a boat with KY licence, I can use it for 90 days in Florida without registering the boat in Florida. Note that KY does't require smaller trailers to be licenced. As long as the trailer is attached to my truck which has KY tags there is no problem with the trailer when in Florida.

If a buy a boat and trailer in Florida, I know that I have to pay Florida taxes, But I will recieve a credit for the taxes paid when I return home to KY.

The dealer at Bass Pro in Orlando told me that I had 10 days from purchasing to use boat in Florida waters and then I had to either have the boat registered in my home state or register the boat and trailer(?) in Florida for a cost of about $175. I would lose this money when I return home and register the boat in KY.

I did find on the net that one has 30 days from purchase to get boat and trailor licensed (must have bill of sale at all time) instead of the 10 days that Bass Pro quoted. I called several tax and vehicle license offices today but got the classic runaround.

To compound everything My home, KY, county clerk will not let license the boat while I am in Florida. The lady told me that the boat had to be in my home county before they could license it.

This seems to have gotten convoluted and way to complicated for a jon boat, any body have a clue what I can and can not do or who I could call. Seems like if took a boat with me and had 90 days to use in Florida, I should be to buy one in Florida and have the same 90 days.

Thanks in advance-Fred

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Guess you need to figure if it is cheaper to lose the registration money in Florida or the gas money on a fast trip to KY to register the new boat. Perhaps once you have it registered you can re-register the outfit while out of state.

3. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks--It's cheaper to bite the bullet and pay the $175 for Florida license. At $3 a gallon the gas alone would be over $300. Wear and tear on truck and 3-4 days lost make this a no-brainer. Just seems like there should be a simpler method-Not sure if the guy at Bass Pro had his facts straight, but they had the 2072's in stock-Fred

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Do you have anyone back in KY that could register it for you? How is the county clerk going to know if the boat is actually in the county? Is she going to go look at it and make sure it is in the county? I would mail the paper work to a relative/friend and have them register it. Don't even mention anything bout he is not the owner and is registering it for someone else. Last time I went to my county clerk, they didn't ask for ID. Have him register it sign your name and be done with it. Sometimes you have to do what it takes when they outlaw common sense in the Gov. offices

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    In Oklahoma the tag agency verifies the Outboard motors serial number during the initial registration in your name. Guess it stops the resale/use of stolen motors.

6. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    There is a bass pro in springfeild MO. see if they have it there.

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I was thinking that they had at least enough sense that they didn't need to check a brand new boat bought from a dealer. As luck would go, they would want to see it though.:angry:

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    you say you go to the county clerk in ky. to register the boat. in texas you go to the parks and wildlife dept. to register a boat. it seems every state is different to make sure we all have problems. you can do what you do at home and be completely wrong by accident. i think i would try to get a relative to register it back in ky. since that is where it is gonna be permanently.

9. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    you can sign a power of attorney form which will aloow another person to act on your behalf,that makes it legal and they can sign their name after yours and it is accepted,you can probably get this form thru kentucky on the net and download it and mail to a relative

10. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Since Bass Pro is in most states they should be able to license and register it for you at the store you buy it from.. If I buy a boat in Missouri I get get it registered for Illinois at the same time ..

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I live in Ohio. I bought my boat in Missouri. I paid for it and they sent me the MCO (Manufacturers certificate of Origin) I registered it Ohio and got the plates, then drove to Missouri to pick it up. For specific instructions call the registrar in your state and ask them. We can only guess, Ky knows for sure. Good Luck!

12. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for all the feedback-I want to do everything on the up and up as I have always been the one to get caught when trying to take short cuts.

I will be looking into this more next week once I get settled after the trip south.-

Fred

13. ps72103

ps72103 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
  14. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is not really on the subject but I've seen several members that have this same problem, and others, when it comes to the boats and such that we use in our sport.
    This is supposed to be The UNITED STATES of AMERICA! But you sure would NOT know it when it comes time to buy a boat, car, truck, and it be in a State other than your residence!!! I get soooo dam*ed tired of all the Bull-stuffing "burroacuracy" when all a person is trying to do is buy, in this case, a boat, and do the right thing in a legal manner. But, you virtually have to be a lawyer to get through all the "Bull-stuffing" paperwork! GEEZE!! BOHICA again and again to us little people!!!!:angry:
    Well, I've had my say, and I'll apologize to those that I've offended, if any.
    Someone hit the nail on the head when they mentioned that the individual from Bass Pro might not have even known what he is talking about! I could say the same thing about most of our politician's, Federal and State employees too! :sad2:
    GOOD LUCK on your registration. I hope you get it sorted out with a minimum of trouble and money to yourself for trying to do the right thing!
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post, before I really get started! :-(]]]]]

15. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Some states will let you mail it in and use the second copy of it for a temp license. You might want to check that out.

16. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Order it on line from the Home location.
    Pay with a credit card at your home dealer and schedual a Pickup at the factory. Its a pre-paid will call for .

Camper/Motorhome folks go thru this all the time.

Seems the same might be different.. Just thinking out loud.

17. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    buy the boat mail the registration back home to your wife let her get your KY #'s and mail you your tag and you go back to bass pro down there and get your KY #'s to put on the boat sit for probly two days waiting on KY tag witch is only good for another 5 months anyways. all boat and camper tags in KY are renewed in the month of April.

18. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There is a Bass Pro Shop here in St. Louis. Try them and see if they can't get it in for you.

636-688-2500

19. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    In Fl you have to reg ALL trailors that will be used for highway use. As far as the amount of time you have to reg a boat in Fl. Call the D.M.V. office in the county you will be buying your boat. I may be wrong but I think you have 30 days to reg a boat in Fl. However since you are just vitising the state you may be about to sign a Afa stating that you are from Ky and will reg the boat there within so many days after leaving Fl.

20. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    I would be willing to bet if the dealer wants to sell you a boat he'll find a way to register it in Kentucky. Just show him the down payment or the cash and start to walk out if he acts funny about the hassle of out of state registration. I have Fl tags on all my vehicles and have been stationed in MS and LA its a little more paper work for the dealers but they can get it done.

the only other problem if you register with Fl is if you have a Bday soon as that is how they go by for tag renewal.