Buy American

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathead willie, Jan 8, 2010.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I can relate to the following email. My family goes out of our way to buy American. My wife and I recently went to WalMart for fish. The only fish they had that DID NOT come from China was some Alaskan Salmon. (Look into how Chinese fish is raised!) We talked to the manager and told him that we refuse to buy any Chinese fish! Then we went to replace our blender/food processor. It took a week of online searches and store shopping to find one that was made in America. Our economy will not get straitened out until we stop buying all that cheap 2nd rate stuff from China and Mexico.
    ..................................................................................................................................................

One Light Bulb at a Time (Author unknown but it doesn't matter.)

A physics teacher in high school, once told the students that while one grasshoper on the railroad tracks wouldn't slow a train very much, a billion of them would .. With that thought in mind, read the following, obviously written by a good American .

Good idea . . .one light bulb at a time . . . .

Check this out . I can verify this because I was in Lowes the other day for some reason and just for the heck of it I was looking at the hose attachments . They were all made in China . The next day I was in Ace Hardware and just for the heck of it I checked the hose attachments there .. They were made in USA . Start looking .

In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects someone else - even their job . So, after reading this email, I think this lady is on the right track . Let's get behind her!

My grandson likes Hershey's candy . I noticed, though, that it is marked made in Mexico now .. I do not buy it any more . My favorite toothpaste Colgate is made in Mexico now . I have switched to Crest .. You have to read the labels on everything .

This past weekend I was at Kroger . I needed 60 W light bulbs and Bounce dryer sheets . I was in the light bulb aisle, and right next to the GE brand I normally buy was an off brand labeled, "Everyday Value." I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats - they were the same except for the price. The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday Value brand but the thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE was made in ME XICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in - get ready for this - the USA in a company in Cleveland , Ohio
    So throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use every day that are made right here .

So on to another aisle - Bounce Dryer Sheets . . ... yep, you guessed it, Bounce cost more money and is made in Canada . The Everyday Value brand was less money and MADE IN THE USA! I did laundry yesterday and the dryer sheets performed just like the Bounce Free I have been using for years and at almost half the price!

My challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA - the job you save may be your own or your neighbor's!

If you accept the challenge, pass this on to others in your address book so we can all start buying American, one light bulb at a time! Stop buying from overseas companies!

(We should have awakened a decade ago .. . . . .. . )

Let's get with the program . . . . help our fellow Americans keep their jobs and create more jobs here in the U . S . A .

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Nice post Willie. I agree, we need to buy our own stuff. It would make for a quick recovery to say the least.
    Most of the major retailers stores are chucked full of non USA made items. It's not just Wally World.

3. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I already do this when possible.

Wake up people! If it isn't made in the USA then the american worker doesn't have a job.

4. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    Go check out the Bass Pro brand items...Every one of them is made in China..

5. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Here is an interesting site that should open some eyes. Scroll down and see how our deficit with China has been increasing in the last several years. THIS CAN NOT BE GOOD FOR AMERICAN WORKERS! Things will not change until Americans let retailers know that we are more interested in jobs than we are about buying cheap inferior products.

http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5700.html#2009

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Does this apply in fishing reels?

I find the American made ones don't hold up like the Abus and Shimanos.

7. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
    All things being equal I buy the best product I can afford, not the one made in a certain place. That's just like us as Americans to get pissy when no one will buy our inferior product just because it was made in the States. And don't get me wrong, if we do make the best product I'll buy American but I'm not going to pass up on a superior product just so I can say I buy American.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We try to buy American when possible. Some things are impossible.

We NEVER buy vegetables and fresh fruit unless it's a product of the USA.

9. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We've always had products from overseas but we've hit a tipping point and because of our oh so wise elected idiots we have nafta and other agreements that have put us in a bad way. You can't become a consumer country with this much money leaveing our pockets an going overseas an not pay a heavy price. It raises our nation debt , at 12 trillion owned by Uncle Sam we'll go bust soon. We need help and I don't mean a loan.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good Post Billie. I totally agree with you. Buy American if we want a recovery that benefits the American people. I would rep you but the rep button is missing.

11. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    INDEED~~and I buy generics or store brands quite often but haven't noticed where they were made! I will from now on though! Thanks Billie I think this is a great post and I'd rep ya if I could!

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Great idea but I wonder how many Americans take the time to see where something is made.
    I'll be the first to admit on a lot of things I don't look.But I know I should.
    That is a great post Willie.At least it got us to thinking once again.
    Like Mickey, I'd rep you but it has seemed to of went on vacation for now.Least you know we tried.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree,But I'm guilty of grabbing the first thing I see when looking for a product I need. Mostly because most IS made elsewhere. I have an ongoing feud with my brother in law on toyota trucks,I told him even though the plant is here the money is still supporting japan.

14. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I buy what i can afford, if made in china so be it. The people that sell it are american and it keeps them employed

15. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I've recently purchased several guitars and a guitar amp. They are all made in the U.S.A. They were a lot more expensive than the foreign made stuff, but the hand-built U.S.A quality is second to none. My truck and boat are also made in the U.S.A. :flag:

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Its a good reminder. Buying our products keeps us employed, also keeps our dollar strong.

The USA does manufacture excellent reels, like Accurate, Avet, Newell, just to name a few, manufactured in USA, not just owned by US companies.

17. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I think most everyone one will agree that the quality of the products we get any more are just plain trash.
    The plastics and metal are very low quality and are also made to be disposable. Even things like TV, Washer/dryers, fridge's are made to be replaced every 5 to 6 years rather than the 15 to 20 years we got acustom too. I do agree that we do have some USA made products that are crap but I would say that 99.9% of the china made products are low,low,low quality. Just look at the threads on a simple thing as a screw. The threads are only parcially formed. The formula for plastics and metal appear the be non-important. Products are not made to be repaired either. You'd be lucky to even find parts. I don't really have an answer short of locking down the US from imports and forcing america to start new business and new jobs.

18. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    So let me get this straight; are you OK with a situation where Americans, the best manufacturing people in the world, the ones that showed the rest of the world how to do it, are slowly turned into a nation of cashiers, so that a very few of the richest Americans can put more money in their pockets while they take more money out of your pocket? Are you OK with American companies exploiting the people from other places by not providing worker safety, child labor laws, or not protecting the environment, or using inferior or poisonous materials, just so you can get a slightly better price on items that are inferior and will have to be replaced every year? Are you OK with making other people work under conditions that you would not allow your children or your family or your neighbors to work under? If we continue to buy 10-15 million dollars worth of products from Mexico and China for every million dollars worth that they buy from us, we will soon be a third world country that is controlled completely by foreign governments/investors/bankers. These huge trade deficits are not in the best interest of the American people in the long term.

19. fnddragn

fnddragn New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Billie, I heard that we will be a third world country in the near future. I like to buy American but in some areas it is getting harder to find American made products. Kids toys are such an area, what they want is not made here anymore. Thanks to your post I will start looking harder to find "Made in the USA" on what I buy. ROCK ON

20. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    So you drive a Nissan or Toyota huh cause last I checked domestic automobiles and trucks were made in Mexico now.

Also I see no problem with buying a Toyota or Nissan because it pays the bills for many Americans even tho in the end the money hits Japan but at least it keeps some Americans working.