Buy a boat used in saltwater?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Bosshawg, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Bosshawg

Bosshawg New Member

State:
    Madisonville, TX
    I found a boat for sale, guy says the hull has very minor corrosion from being used in saltwater and may need to be "re-sealed?". What does that mean?? And what would any of you guys best estimate be on cost to do such a thing? It is an 18ft. Allweld boat. Thanks in advance for yalls comments...

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    what are the specifics on the boat?
    Alum. or glass?
    I assume alum since it said Allweld but , heck, i dont always know

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    He probably means the hull will need resealing with an anti fouling paint.Its not like the aluminium developes holes in it :wink:Hopefully???? There is one rule about buying boats that have been used in saltwater that you should be aware of;DONT BUY ONE!!!! In case there is some question see rule number 1 previous.To many questions that you cant get an easy answer to particularly about the engine if it has one.If you must and you choose to ignore rule number 1 and it involves substantial money I would have to boat surveyed.Remember to check the trailer also and removing a tire and checking the wheel will tell you alot about how the rig was maintained.Good luck:smile2:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're not pretty savvy about boats, a survey is definitely a good idea, but IMO, saltwater boats are a great value if they've been properly cared for. If there's an engine with it, you need to be much more careful, because if it wasn't properly cleaned of saltwater after each use, there will probably be some corrosion. One quick thing to look at on any used engine is the sacrificial trim tab. If there should be electrolysis taking place, it's designed to be eaten away before any other metal on the engine or boat. If it's been pretty well eaten away, that's a pretty good sign that metal has been eaten away from boat or engine. If, say, only 1/4 of it is missing, it needs to be replaced, but no other metal should have been eaten away.....unless a previous trip tab got completely eaten away....that's where a good survey comes in.

5. Bosshawg

Bosshawg New Member

State:
    Madisonville, TX
    Thanks for the replies again. I think I'll take the advise of rule #1 from Jim seein how it agrees with the gut feeling I had in the first place.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You'll find out what saltwater does the first time you you try to drop the lower unit to replace the water pump impeller.
    I can also show you what it does to aluminum pontoons.:big_smile:

7. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I would look for something else. There are to many better well maintained boats out there.... Keep looking......

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I saw an aluminum boat that been in salltwater a lot,it had so many holes in it that it looked like someone had shot it with buckshot.In 1987 I bought a 26 ft fiberglass sloop that had been in saltwater fot 12 years and it was in good shape.