Butterflying Shad for Stripers & Catfish

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by shania, Jan 12, 2007.

1. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I got a feeling that I will be doing alot of fishing with Shad this year for Stripers or Catfish. But I would like to know about "Butterfly Shad for bait"? :confused2:
    :0a28:
    A B.O.C. member showed me how to do it at a Gathering about 2 years ago,
    But I forgot things like perparing the Shad & where to place the hook in the Shad.

:worship: Can anyone out there help me out with this?

Thanks,
    Bert:cool2: Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    theres something worth trying.

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I guess I don't quite understand how he ran that hook through the shad. If someone could help me out,I would appreciate it. I'm always looking for different ways to use different baits. I understand how he cut the side up to close to the head. When I look at the last picture in the sequence it looks like the shank of the hook is sticking out of the shad's mouth. I'm thoroughly confused!!

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds like a good idea to me -- you're exposing a much larger surface area to bleed and disperse scent in the water and it ought to help bring in the fish...

I haven't tried that method yet but may give it a shot. What I do, however, is to cut the shad at a very shallow angle rather than cutting perpindicular to the body. It's the same sort of idea but doesn't go as far as butterflying them.

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
  7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Glenn, looks like he threaded the shad on the hook as you would a worm. The shad in the picture was small maybe 3 inch's or so and I believe a 6/0 hook was used. If I am looking at the picture correctly the shad is threaded on to the hook head first then through one of the filet's with the hook exiting just ahead of the tail, giving a curl to the shad as if it was injured and dying.

8. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    For small shad, like the one in the picture I will butterfly it this way. Instead of worming it on the hook, I run the hook through the eyes and then back through the tail section, pushing it pass the barb of the hook. Using a kahle hook, this gives it that curled look.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I will definitely try this one. Thanks guys.

10. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bam,
    Thanks for replying to my question about how the hook was threaded through the shad. After looking at it closer I think you're right on the money. Looks like he butterflied that shad on just one side,and threaded the hook through the side that he left solid on the shad. Is that the way you see it?

11. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep, that's the way I see it.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    deltalover told me how to do that a few years ago. you run your hook in the mouth and out the side that has the spine in it, and leave your hook totally exposed. i do pretty good on that setup. a lot of the time i don't use weight as i regularly would. it seems to sink a lot slower butterflied. the blue cats, sand bass and stripers all seem to love it presented this way.

13. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't understand what you mean by leaving the hook totally exposed. Do you mean just the barb of the hook? Please explain a little more thoroughly.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey glenn, i use octopus circles so i am talking about leaving the majority of the shank and barb exposed. i use this rig with no weight and watch my line on the fall. if it hits bottom i reel in slowly and cast gain. using this method i watch my line tighten up, then when it's tight, i just start reeling. the stripers and blues usually hit it so hard they are instantly hooked. hope this helps! i wish i didn't destroy my digital camera, so i could just post a pic for ya!