Butter worms

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by weshossman, Jul 3, 2008.

1. weshossman

weshossman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Has anyone fished with Butter worms? I seen them at a bait shop kinda high. Just wondering if they where any good?

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Wes.....I had never heard of 'em until I read your post, but I just looked them up online. Yep, they're quite expensive. Here's a little info:

Butterworms are much larger than waxworms but have similar fat, smooth bodies. The Chilecomadia moorei moth, native to the mountains of central Chile, is what butterworms morph into.

They are used extensively in Europe as live pet food (reptiles); they're also used there, and in their native country of Chile, as fishing bait.

Butterworms have a fruitlike smell.

Well, ya learn somethin' new everyday! :cool2:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Never tried the butterworms. Wax worms are getting crazy expensive. Been dry and it's hard to find an earthworm to dig. Dad used to get some dry dog food, dampen it, and wait for a few days. Then cover the container. Makes a great maggot bed in a few days. The fly maggots seem tougher than wax worms too. Gotta keep it damp for them to hatch and grow. After they grow for a while, you can let it dry out nearly dry. Then harvest them. You need to cover the container as they grow so they won't crawl out. Put 'em in a wax worm cup with the sawdust and into the fridge to keep them from morphing into the fly. A couple of handfuls of dog food is all you need, and that's a whole lot less expensive than running back and forth to the bait shop.
    BB in SC

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Good post but I'll be skipping both of those for bait.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    look up reptile food on the net, and you can get all these for cheaper than you can at the bait shop. crickets, earthworms, tomato hornworms, wax worms, superworms, etc. i used to keep and breed collared lizards and found this out.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I did another search yesterday on butterworms, just to read more about 'em, and discovered that the "quite expensive" prices I saw quoted were from a company in Long Island, NY :smile2:.

Found some MUCH better prices (and larger quantities) at a place/site called Carolina Pet Supply. Don't ya love it in the SOUTH? :wink: