Butter Catfish - what species are they?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catcam, Jun 19, 2006.

1. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Anyone ever heard of butter cats? I've pulled a lot of these from black creeks in southeast Georgia, using nightcrawlers and crickets. They are small catfish, look sort of chocolate brown and taste wonderful! Anymore info on what species of cat? What am I eating? I've Googled and found nothing. Thanks- Jennifer

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Probably are one of the bullhead cats which are quite tastey. Butter cat sounds like a local or regional name.

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE BOC NATIONAL GATHERING

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    SWEET the small ones are really good table fare. 6 to 9 inches mmmm.
    I to think they are bullheads. They come in colors from black with white bellies to yellow all over.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Flat Bullhead is what you are catching in the lower part of Georgia.peewee-williams

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    We catch them in Fl.....I believe they are brown bullheads(spotted bullheads) average 2-3#s....good eating is right.Had some locals call them butterballs.

BTW....guy here in Mo. just set a state and possible "world" IGFA record with a 6.6#yeloow bullhead,beating the state record by a 1.2 margin and IGFA by over 2#.He also caught 2 others over 6# that day.A 3 bullhead stringer over 19#s....incredible!!

6. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the information gentlemen. Now I know what a butter cat is- a bullhead. And thanks for the confirmation, it is a yummy fish!:smile2: