Butler Pennsylvania area?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Mr Twister, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    There is potential that I may be moving to the Bulter area in West PA. Can any of you tell me anything about the catfishing in that area.

2. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Welcome Mr. Twister! :) I live approx. 30 mile from Butler. There is a lake called "Lake Author" that is not far from Butler City. I have never catfished it, but have heard of abundance of channel catfish there. I mainly fish the Allegheny River that is about 20 miles from Butler city. There are also several locks in the allegheny river that offer really good catfishing.

If I can be any help, please let me know. There are several good guys from western pa on this board. Pennsylvaniacatchaser will probally add little better info than me. He catches alot of big catfish!!!!:D

3. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    What kind of cats to do you find in the river? I assume channels, flats ?, too far north for blues, right?

4. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Flatheads and Channels,:) There are some people that say that "blues" are in the river, but what they are refering to is a "blue" colored channel. To far north for blues.

5. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Welcome Mr Twister! Where are you living now? If you move to Butler, you aren't that far from some great fishing spots. You wouldn't be all that far from the rivers in the 'Burgh and yes, Lake Arthur is a great place for channels!

But one question before you move here...Are you a Steelers fan?!?

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Mr Twister - Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25: I live in Sarver which is about 15 miles S. of Butler. Rockjumper and the_nis already pointed out the best locations being Lake Arthur and the Allegheny River. I do most of my Catfishing on the Allegheny. Lake Arthur has Channel Cats but no Flatheads. The Allegheny River has both Flatheads and Channels. The current Pa. Flathead record came from the Allegheny as well as the previous Flathead record. If you would like to hook up sometime to fish, let me know. Lot of good people on this site!

7. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    Thanks guys for all your help. I currently live in K.C. I primarily fish two places a local lake for lots of channel action and if I want a shot at something bigger I head for the Missouri River. I grew up around Columbus OH. I have not been a huge NFL fan since my favorite team relocated a number of years (I won't say which one :) ). I am primarily a Buckeye fan and always root for the AFC except Denver. I'll definately let you know what happens with the job. Thanks again for all the advice.

8. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    Man...I just noticed that my post total got reset at 0 when they redid the board. :crying:

9. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Are you saying Kansas City? Let us know what happens. Remember: "you have a friend in Pennslyvania!":)

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Mr Twister - everyones post total went back to zero when they redid the site. Also our join date got reset to Aug. 2005 or later depending on when you signed up for the new site.

11. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Sounds like you guys in western Pa are having all the fun,catching big fish.I have to go to the Jersey Shore to catch big fish.One of these days,I would love to take a road trip out there,and catch some big fish :)

12. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Kaliegh,

Do you guys out east have flathead catfish? I was looking at a catfishing book and different species, and it has only western pa marked for Flatheads. Just curious.

(off topic, hope I don't make anyone mad!):p

13. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    In the last few year's they are getting Flathead's in the Schuylkill river & the Delaware but not to many yet. The fish commishon is telling the people to kill them if they get one. I've heard of some as big as 30 lb's being cought already, but I think most are in the 10 -12 lb's bracket. I fish mostly the N Branch of the Suskie and we dont have them up here yet, but I here there in the lower end of the river down along the Maryland border. They got about 5 dam's to through before they get up here. I hope I live that long.

14. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    What size hooks do you guys use for flatheads in the Allegheny?

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I use Kahle hooks ranging in size from 5/0 up to 10/0 depending on the size of bait I'm using. I would say 7/0 is the one I use most often.

16. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    2/0 or 1/0 circle. Mustad. Love'em!:)